Yahoo agreed to buy the blogging service Tumblr for around $1.1 billion in cash, reports The New York Times. If the deal is approved, it would be the biggest yet under the tenure of new Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer and a major move into social media for the Internet company. (It would also top Facebook’s acquisition of Instagram for $1 billion last year.) Founded in 2007, Tumblr has a young, active user base, with over 108 million blogs, that Yahoo will likely want to tap into.
Posted May 19 2013 — 11:33 PM EDT
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- How do Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy compare?
- Watch out, Frank and Claire: Neve Campbell joins 'House of Cards'
- Taylor Towsend will play Julie Cooper in 'The O.C. Musical'
- The wedding is over for It Shoulda Been You on Broadway
- 'Teen Wolf' season 4 DVD: See the limited edition art for Comic-Con
- Donald Trump doubles down on Mexico comments: 'It’s totally accurate'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!