It’s official: Multitudes are sick of Bieber fever. At the Billboard Music Awards, held in Las Vegas on May 19, the feisty crowd booed Justin Bieber as he accepted the fan-voted Milestone award; the 19-year-old beat out the likes of Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift for the honor. ”This is not a gimmick,” Bieber — whose music has been overshadowed recently by his love life, partying, and pet monkey — said from the stage. ”I’m an artist and I should be taken seriously.” Even Swift — the night’s big winner, with eight awards — seemed to be drinking the haterade: She was taped playfully sticking her tongue out when BFF Selena Gomez kissed on-again boyfriend Biebs. The headline-generating show (which also featured Miguel accidentally jumping on an audience member) sparked much debate on Twitter, where Bieber, Billboard’s Top Social Artist winner, is a key figure. From May 19 to 20, he inspired 300,000 negative tweets and 1.6 million positive ones, says social-analytics company Topsy. Among his supporters? Chris Brown, who tweeted (and apparently later deleted) ”Love ya boy!” And there’s a man who knows about backlashes.
Posted May 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bill Cosby admitted to drugging a woman
- Exclusive 'Royal Pains' clip: Hank is suspicious of Evan and Boris
- Women's World Cup final: 25.4M viewers
- Dynamite and Atari team up for new comic ventures
- 'James Bond: The Musical'? It could happen
- Quiz: Match these iconic cars to their famous detective drivers
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!