It’s official: Multitudes are sick of Bieber fever. At the Billboard Music Awards, held in Las Vegas on May 19, the feisty crowd booed Justin Bieber as he accepted the fan-voted Milestone award; the 19-year-old beat out the likes of Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift for the honor. ”This is not a gimmick,” Bieber — whose music has been overshadowed recently by his love life, partying, and pet monkey — said from the stage. ”I’m an artist and I should be taken seriously.” Even Swift — the night’s big winner, with eight awards — seemed to be drinking the haterade: She was taped playfully sticking her tongue out when BFF Selena Gomez kissed on-again boyfriend Biebs. The headline-generating show (which also featured Miguel accidentally jumping on an audience member) sparked much debate on Twitter, where Bieber, Billboard’s Top Social Artist winner, is a key figure. From May 19 to 20, he inspired 300,000 negative tweets and 1.6 million positive ones, says social-analytics company Topsy. Among his supporters? Chris Brown, who tweeted (and apparently later deleted) ”Love ya boy!” And there’s a man who knows about backlashes.
Posted May 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West's 'Famous' video gets recreated by Instagram's most popular dogs
- 'This Is Us': Sterling K. Brown previews tonight’s Christmas episode
- '12 Deadly Days' trailer promises mayhem under mistletoe
- Nat Geo's 'Mars' pulls off the tricky art of the pre-enactment
- 'Bingeworthy' hosts get honest about 'Fuller House'
- 'Homeland' casts 'Medium' star as alt-right media personality
- Grammy nominee Amy Schumer defends herself against haters on Instagram
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans