It’s official: Multitudes are sick of Bieber fever. At the Billboard Music Awards, held in Las Vegas on May 19, the feisty crowd booed Justin Bieber as he accepted the fan-voted Milestone award; the 19-year-old beat out the likes of Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift for the honor. ”This is not a gimmick,” Bieber — whose music has been overshadowed recently by his love life, partying, and pet monkey — said from the stage. ”I’m an artist and I should be taken seriously.” Even Swift — the night’s big winner, with eight awards — seemed to be drinking the haterade: She was taped playfully sticking her tongue out when BFF Selena Gomez kissed on-again boyfriend Biebs. The headline-generating show (which also featured Miguel accidentally jumping on an audience member) sparked much debate on Twitter, where Bieber, Billboard’s Top Social Artist winner, is a key figure. From May 19 to 20, he inspired 300,000 negative tweets and 1.6 million positive ones, says social-analytics company Topsy. Among his supporters? Chris Brown, who tweeted (and apparently later deleted) ”Love ya boy!” And there’s a man who knows about backlashes.
Posted May 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt