It’s official: Multitudes are sick of Bieber fever. At the Billboard Music Awards, held in Las Vegas on May 19, the feisty crowd booed Justin Bieber as he accepted the fan-voted Milestone award; the 19-year-old beat out the likes of Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift for the honor. ”This is not a gimmick,” Bieber — whose music has been overshadowed recently by his love life, partying, and pet monkey — said from the stage. ”I’m an artist and I should be taken seriously.” Even Swift — the night’s big winner, with eight awards — seemed to be drinking the haterade: She was taped playfully sticking her tongue out when BFF Selena Gomez kissed on-again boyfriend Biebs. The headline-generating show (which also featured Miguel accidentally jumping on an audience member) sparked much debate on Twitter, where Bieber, Billboard’s Top Social Artist winner, is a key figure. From May 19 to 20, he inspired 300,000 negative tweets and 1.6 million positive ones, says social-analytics company Topsy. Among his supporters? Chris Brown, who tweeted (and apparently later deleted) ”Love ya boy!” And there’s a man who knows about backlashes.
Posted May 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- Lee Daniels goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!