It’s official: Multitudes are sick of Bieber fever. At the Billboard Music Awards, held in Las Vegas on May 19, the feisty crowd booed Justin Bieber as he accepted the fan-voted Milestone award; the 19-year-old beat out the likes of Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift for the honor. ”This is not a gimmick,” Bieber — whose music has been overshadowed recently by his love life, partying, and pet monkey — said from the stage. ”I’m an artist and I should be taken seriously.” Even Swift — the night’s big winner, with eight awards — seemed to be drinking the haterade: She was taped playfully sticking her tongue out when BFF Selena Gomez kissed on-again boyfriend Biebs. The headline-generating show (which also featured Miguel accidentally jumping on an audience member) sparked much debate on Twitter, where Bieber, Billboard’s Top Social Artist winner, is a key figure. From May 19 to 20, he inspired 300,000 negative tweets and 1.6 million positive ones, says social-analytics company Topsy. Among his supporters? Chris Brown, who tweeted (and apparently later deleted) ”Love ya boy!” And there’s a man who knows about backlashes.
Posted May 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Daniel Radcliffe morphs into Elijah Wood in mesmerizing GIF
- Mike Mignola previews his final issue of 'Hellboy in Hell'
- 'Transparent' renewed for a fourth season
- 'The Hills' trivia: Can you still identify these minor characters?
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys welcome first child together
- 'Jeopardy!' producer scores Guinness World Record
- Bosnia honors David Bowie with massive mural
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos