When Peter Sarsgaard was cast in the third season of AMC’s The Killing, fan reaction was nearly unanimous: He’s perfect. The crime drama’s world is dark, murky, complex, and amoral — all adjectives that also describe Sarsgaard’s turns in films like Jarhead and Boys Don’t Cry. The 42-year-old actor admits his age factored into his decision to pursue TV. ”I feel like a lot of movies these days are shot for an audience younger than me,” he says. But it was also the great challenge the Killing role posed: The lion’s share of his scenes take place in a solitary prison cell, owing to the fact that Sarsgaard plays monstrous death-row inmate Ray Seward, a murderer from the past of former detective Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos). The constraints — and the task of making scenes in the same setting interesting — enticed him. ”I like restrictions,” Sarsgaard says. ”The more restrictions the better. It’s a challenge because it is difficult to keep [”introducing”] variety in a confined space.” Space aside, Sarsgaard’s ultimate goal was to make his killer as frightening as possible — while still making fans sympathize with him. ”The big philosophical issues he’s dealing with are ones we all wrestle with,” he says, ”like forgiveness.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!