When Peter Sarsgaard was cast in the third season of AMC’s The Killing, fan reaction was nearly unanimous: He’s perfect. The crime drama’s world is dark, murky, complex, and amoral — all adjectives that also describe Sarsgaard’s turns in films like Jarhead and Boys Don’t Cry. The 42-year-old actor admits his age factored into his decision to pursue TV. ”I feel like a lot of movies these days are shot for an audience younger than me,” he says. But it was also the great challenge the Killing role posed: The lion’s share of his scenes take place in a solitary prison cell, owing to the fact that Sarsgaard plays monstrous death-row inmate Ray Seward, a murderer from the past of former detective Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos). The constraints — and the task of making scenes in the same setting interesting — enticed him. ”I like restrictions,” Sarsgaard says. ”The more restrictions the better. It’s a challenge because it is difficult to keep [”introducing”] variety in a confined space.” Space aside, Sarsgaard’s ultimate goal was to make his killer as frightening as possible — while still making fans sympathize with him. ”The big philosophical issues he’s dealing with are ones we all wrestle with,” he says, ”like forgiveness.”
Posted May 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Azealia Banks: Australian crowds are 'violent' and 'terrible'
- Exclusive clip from TV satire 'Shooting the Warwicks' is unreal
- Diane Keaton joins Jude Law for HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Someone's made a 'Breaking Bad'-inspired coffee shop
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!