Summer is no fun without a truly insane, over-the-top action movie. Fast & Furious 6 seems to be the one to beat this year…. unless The Smurfs 2 has a really incredible Parkour chase. But even Vin Diesel vs. a tank cannot come close to the ludicrous brilliance of 1991’s Point Break. It’s got a pretty beach setting. An even prettier cast (Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze). A non-brain-taxing plot (Surfing bank robbers!). And Gary Busey! What more do you need? Okay, well here are a few more reasons why it’s the best summer movie of all time:
- Because it’s about surfing bank robbers who dress up like former Presidents when they commit crimes.
- Because Keanu Reeves character is a former college football star named Johnny Utah and no one ever giggles.
- Because Patrick Swayze’s character is named Bodhi and no one ever giggles.
- Because Kathryn Bigelow directs the hell outta this movie. Surfing and skydiving have never looked better on film.
- Because Keanu says lines like, “You gotta go down!” and no one ever giggles.
- Because Red Hot Chili Peppers front man Anthony Kiedis plays a character named Tone.
- Because Swayze has got great hair in this movie (see above photo). Bangs!
- Because Patrick says lines like “Back off Warchild, seriously.” and no one ever giggles.
- Because Lori Petty starred in this and like four other movies before completely disappearing. Where are you, Lori?
- Because there’s an entire action sequence that hinges on a lawnmower malfunctioning.
- Because Gary Busey’s performance is the least insane part of the movie.
- Because the foot chase between Johnny and Bodhi through alleyways is still one of the most viscerally thrilling action scenes ever.
Disagree PopWatchers? Then what do you think is the best summer movie?
Follow Tim on Twitter: @EWTimStack