This fast and airy thriller about a team of four magicians is an engagingly preposterous high-wire act. It never stops moving (the camerawork, dialogue, and plot twists keep rushing at you), and it’s exceedingly clever — at least when it bothers to make sense, which is about two-thirds of the time. The film stars Jesse Eisenberg as an arrogant card sharp, Woody Harrelson as a mentalist who can divine anyone’s secrets, Isla Fisher as a lady-vixen David Copperfield, and Dave Franco as a wizardly thief. A mysterious leader brings the four of them together to do a high-powered Las Vegas act that climaxes in amazing on-stage bank thefts. Which is why a testy FBI agent (Mark Ruffalo) is soon on their trail. The agent gets teamed with a French Interpol officer (Mélanie Laurent) he can’t stop flirtatiously fighting with, but his real battle is with the demon-prank illusionists whose every move is destined to outwit him. At times, Now You See Me suggests Christopher Nolan’s The Prestige made with a throwaway wink. The actors, including Morgan Freeman as an anti-showman devoted to revealing the magicians’ secrets, look like they’re having so much fun that you can forgive the periodic arbitrariness of it all. B
...NOW YOU DON'T Dave Franco, Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, and Woody Harrelson play a group of magicians who also have a penchant for robbing banks (Barry Wetcher)
Genre: Thriller, Suspense; Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Morgan Freeman, Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo; Director: Louis Leterrier; Release Date Wide: 05/31/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted June 12 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Castle' books 'The O.C.' star in season 8
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen calls eviction 'ridiculous and dumb'; says Steve 'chickened out'
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- The music we loved this week
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!