This fast and airy thriller about a team of four magicians is an engagingly preposterous high-wire act. It never stops moving (the camerawork, dialogue, and plot twists keep rushing at you), and it’s exceedingly clever — at least when it bothers to make sense, which is about two-thirds of the time. The film stars Jesse Eisenberg as an arrogant card sharp, Woody Harrelson as a mentalist who can divine anyone’s secrets, Isla Fisher as a lady-vixen David Copperfield, and Dave Franco as a wizardly thief. A mysterious leader brings the four of them together to do a high-powered Las Vegas act that climaxes in amazing on-stage bank thefts. Which is why a testy FBI agent (Mark Ruffalo) is soon on their trail. The agent gets teamed with a French Interpol officer (Mélanie Laurent) he can’t stop flirtatiously fighting with, but his real battle is with the demon-prank illusionists whose every move is destined to outwit him. At times, Now You See Me suggests Christopher Nolan’s The Prestige made with a throwaway wink. The actors, including Morgan Freeman as an anti-showman devoted to revealing the magicians’ secrets, look like they’re having so much fun that you can forgive the periodic arbitrariness of it all. B
...NOW YOU DON'T Dave Franco, Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, and Woody Harrelson play a group of magicians who also have a penchant for robbing banks (Barry Wetcher)
Genre: Thriller, Suspense; Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Morgan Freeman, Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo; Director: Louis Leterrier; Release Date Wide: 05/31/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted June 12 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Harrison Ford has seen 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
- How Patricia Arquette went from almost becoming a midwife to winning an Oscar
- Amazon's 'Mozart in the Jungle': See the exclusive season 2 trailer
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' gets its very own ice cream flavors
- Patton Oswalt joins new 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'
- 'Spotlight' team takes a bow at Gotham Awards
- 'Star Wars Battlefront': 'Battle of Jakku' content available today for pre-order players