The pairing looks odd on paper: the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Shakespeare. But there’s something both daring and delightfully daffy about Joss Whedon’s modern riff on one of the Bard’s most beloved comedies. Filmed in black and white in Whedon’s L.A. home over 12 days, Much Ado About Nothing is a labor of love for a guy whose ambitions extend beyond billion-dollar Avengers installments. With nary a codpiece or tesseract in sight, this roundelay of romantic intrigue and wicked wordplay (faithfully delivered in verse) is the tale of two couples: the young lovers Claudio (Fran Kranz) and Hero (Jillian Morgese), who are nearly kept apart by scheming rivals, and the jaded Benedick (Alexis Denisof) and Beatrice (Amy Acker), fools tricked into confessing their love. The film isn’t as fast and funny as it could be, although Nathan Fillion’s easily offended constable injects some sorely needed comic relief. Still, give Whedon credit for trying to expose his Comic-Con fan base to a different kind of Hero. B
MORE THAN 'NOTHING' Amy Acker is just one of many faces in this delightful take on Shakespeare from Joss Whedon (Elsa Guillet-Chapuis)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Amy Acker, Nathan Fillion, Clark Gregg, Ashley Johnson; Director: Joss Whedon; Release Date Wide: 06/07/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted June 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!