For most of his young career, the 29-year-old Lin has been high on concept (among other things) but relatively low on mainstream accessibility. Taipei marks his first release with a major publisher, and perhaps his strongest work to date. The story centers on Paul, a twentysomething New York writer not unlike the author, as he drifts through his cyber-centric surroundings. The novel isn’t really about anything — Paul mainly wanders around his hyper-millennial world, dabbling in this and that — but Lin’s strength is his ability to zoom in on scenes, observing life one pixel at a time. B+
TaipeiFor most of his young career, the 29-year-old Lin has been high on concept (among other things) but relatively low on mainstream accessibility. TaipeiFictionTao LinFor most of his young career, the 29-year-old Lin has been high on concept (among other things) but relatively low on mainstream accessibility. 2013-06-25Vintage
Taipei by Tao Lin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tao Lin; Publisher: Vintage
Posted June 25 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...