Never mind that London is sweltering through one of the most oppressive heat waves on record: in Instructions For a Heatwave, Gretta Riordan is up at dawn, oven blasting, to bake Irish soda bread while her husband of four decades, Robert, obediently sets the table for breakfast, carefully laying out the butter and jam. Then Robert leaves to get the paper…and doesn’t come back. After Gretta makes some frantic calls, her three more-or-less estranged children gather at the house — the prim, brittle Monica, caught in a bad marriage; failed history teacher Michael; and functional illiterate Aoife. The search for Robert is not half as interesting as the rich, barbed interplay among the siblings, who gibe, snap, and snipe as they go through their father’s things, slowly teasing out one another’s long-buried secrets — and a few of Gretta’s and Robert’s, too. A-
Instructions For a HeatwaveNever mind that London is sweltering through one of the most oppressive heat waves on record: in Instructions For a Heatwave, Gretta...Instructions For a HeatwaveFictionMaggie O'FarrellNever mind that London is sweltering through one of the most oppressive heat waves on record: in Instructions For a Heatwave, Gretta...2013-06-26Knopf
Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maggie O'Farrell; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More