Never mind that London is sweltering through one of the most oppressive heat waves on record: in Instructions For a Heatwave, Gretta Riordan is up at dawn, oven blasting, to bake Irish soda bread while her husband of four decades, Robert, obediently sets the table for breakfast, carefully laying out the butter and jam. Then Robert leaves to get the paper…and doesn’t come back. After Gretta makes some frantic calls, her three more-or-less estranged children gather at the house — the prim, brittle Monica, caught in a bad marriage; failed history teacher Michael; and functional illiterate Aoife. The search for Robert is not half as interesting as the rich, barbed interplay among the siblings, who gibe, snap, and snipe as they go through their father’s things, slowly teasing out one another’s long-buried secrets — and a few of Gretta’s and Robert’s, too. A-
Instructions For a HeatwaveNever mind that London is sweltering through one of the most oppressive heat waves on record: in Instructions For a Heatwave, Gretta...Instructions For a HeatwaveFictionMaggie O'FarrellNever mind that London is sweltering through one of the most oppressive heat waves on record: in Instructions For a Heatwave, Gretta...2013-06-26Knopf
Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maggie O'Farrell; Publisher: Knopf
Posted June 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'