And two more deals bite the dust: Both Caesars Entertainment Corporation and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. have announced that they are ending their professional relationships with embattled celebrity cook Paula Deen.
“While we appreciate Paula’s sincere apologies for statements she made in her past that she recently disclosed during a deposition given in response to a lawsuit, after thoughtful consideration of their impact, we have mutually decided that it is in the best interests of both parties to part ways at this time,” said Jan Jones Blackhurst, executive vice president of communications and government affairs for Caesars Entertainment, in a statement, according to People.
Caesars currently hosts four Paula Deen’s Kitchen restaurants in casinos located in Indiana, Illinois, North Carolina, and Mississippi. The eateries will be shuttered and rebranded in the next few months.
Meanwhile, Walmart has said that it will not place “any new orders” for Paula Deen-branded products “beyond what’s already committed,” according to the Associated Press. The world’s largest retailer has carried Deen’s products in all of its American Walmart stores since 2011.
Caesars and Walmart are only the latest companies to sever ties with Deen since she admitted to using racial slurs in a deposition filed last week. The Food Network revealed Friday that it will not renew its contract with Deen, while Smithfield Foods dropped Deen as a spokesperson on Monday. Home shopping network QVC, meanwhile, has said that it’s “reviewing [its] business relationship with Ms. Deen,” though it has no immediate plans either to feature the chef on air or to end its partnership with her.
Paula Deen defends herself in teary ‘Today’ interview – VIDEO
Paula Deen non-apology slammed
Paula Deen’s sons defend her, call racism charges ‘extortion’ and ‘character assassination’ – VIDEO