In Byzantium Neil Jordan shows hints of the director he once was — the one who made Mona Lisa and The Crying Game — but not much else in this scattershot thriller about the secret shared by a saintly teen (Saoirse Ronan) and the prostitute (Gemma Arterton) who’s her guardian. The best thing in the movie is Arterton’s sultry, claw-baring turn, but mostly it’s a rudderless riff on Let the Right One In. C-
ANTI-FREEZE Saoirse Ronan co-stars with Gemma Arterton in the aimless Byzantium (Christopher Raphael)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gemma Arterton, Jonny Lee Miller, Sam Riley, Saoirse Ronan; Director: Neil Jordan; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Terminator Genisys' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Rihanna's 'Bitch Better Have My Money' video is bonkers--and totally NSFW
- 'Sesame Street's' Maria is departing after more than 40 years
- Casting Net: Michael Ian Black and Missi Pyle sign on for 'Slash'
- Blood Orange releases Charleston-influenced song 'Do You See My Skin Through The Flames?'
- Rihanna has done something no one else has ever done
- Chumbawamba launched Kickstarter for I Get Knocked Down documentary