In Byzantium Neil Jordan shows hints of the director he once was — the one who made Mona Lisa and The Crying Game — but not much else in this scattershot thriller about the secret shared by a saintly teen (Saoirse Ronan) and the prostitute (Gemma Arterton) who’s her guardian. The best thing in the movie is Arterton’s sultry, claw-baring turn, but mostly it’s a rudderless riff on Let the Right One In. C-
ANTI-FREEZE Saoirse Ronan co-stars with Gemma Arterton in the aimless Byzantium (Christopher Raphael)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gemma Arterton, Jonny Lee Miller, Sam Riley, Saoirse Ronan; Director: Neil Jordan; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Leonard Nimoy's final tweet is perfect
- Original Green Ranger vs. 'Power/Rangers'
- Eddie Redmayne in 'The Danish Girl': First Look
- What's Playing on Broadway and Beyond
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' finale strong -- even without 'Scandal'
- 'Arrow'-'Flash' spin-off at CW would team multiple DC Comics characters
- 'Modern Family:' Read Alex's full college essay