Among critics, scholars, and cultural scientists, there is a specific term in the analytical jargon to characterize the popular Web series Drunk History: stoopid genius. On Comedy Central’s new iteration of the Funny or Die favorite, creator/host Derek Waters gets comedians and normal folk drunk and asks them to tell a tale from history. Each yarn is dramatized by a different cast of sometimes-famous faces — season 1 features Kristen Wiig, Winona Ryder, and Michael Cera — who perform with a handicap: They must lip-synch the slurry lines of their inebriated narrator. Sounds dumb. It plays hilarious. Part of the fun is just watching actors take the turbulent ride of meandering, coherence-challenged rambles like: ”This guy is weird! This guy’s, like, an ape. He’s got ape arms! He’s got, like, ape-awkward arms. This guy’s, like, an ape-awkward guy! This guyyy! Is an ape…awk — …oct — …oxsward! He’s, like, an ape-man! This guy’s, like, an ape-awkward man!” (The man in question is Abraham Lincoln, played by actor Eric Filipkowski.) Some performances are more spirited than others; Adam Scott (as John Wilkes Booth), Joe Lo Truglio (as Al Capone), and Fred Willard (as Watergate’s Deep Throat) seem uniquely qualified to be vessels for blitzed bards. (By contrast: Jack Black’s Elvis? Surprisingly just okay.) If you’re wondering whether these guys are really drunk, the vomiting should set you straight. If you’re thinking about how long it’ll be before this joke gets old, then you are not alone. Until then, Drunk History is a high-concept riot. You won’t learn anything, except the one thing they don’t teach you in school: Know when to say when. B+
DRUNK HISTORY Bob Odenkirk as President Richard Nixon, Jack McBrayer as advisor H.R. Haldeman and Jack Black as Elvis (Ron Batzdorff/Comedy Central)
Series Premiere: 07/09/2013; Status: In Season; Distributor: Comedy Central
Posted June 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!