Professor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die. Enter our unnamed narrator, an alien sent to Earth to inhabit Martin’s body and halt human progress by erasing all evidence of the professor’s groundbreaking discovery. The future of the universe depends on it, according to the extraterrestrial beings. In Haig’s first novel since 2010’s The Radleys, the narrator faces the complicated tasks of navigating the planet’s social rules (e.g., clothes are important), managing relationships with Martin’s family (a wife and a teenage son), and coping with the generally grotesque Homo sapiens (don’t even get him started on our weird noses). But as he spends more and more time acting the part, the narrator begins to question his once strongly held belief that humans are ”a species of ugliness and violence, beyond redemption.” Despite what the aliens may think, The Humans is not so unlike the species the book details: funny, poignant, and full of heart. B+
The HumansProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....The HumansFictionMatt HaigProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....2013-06-28Simon & Schuster
THE HUMANS by Matt Haig
Genre: Fiction; Author: Matt Haig; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted June 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy's EW blog: Pro gives advice to those still in the game
- Seth Rogen, more to dine on 'Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party'
- Kevin Curran, Emmy-winning 'Simpsons' producers, dies at 59
- 'The Goldbergs' staging 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' reunion — exclusive
- Honest Trailers takes on 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'
- Paul Beatty's 'The Sellout' wins 2016 Man Booker Prize for fiction
- 'Saturday Night Live' election special to recap contentious campaign
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop