Professor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die. Enter our unnamed narrator, an alien sent to Earth to inhabit Martin’s body and halt human progress by erasing all evidence of the professor’s groundbreaking discovery. The future of the universe depends on it, according to the extraterrestrial beings. In Haig’s first novel since 2010’s The Radleys, the narrator faces the complicated tasks of navigating the planet’s social rules (e.g., clothes are important), managing relationships with Martin’s family (a wife and a teenage son), and coping with the generally grotesque Homo sapiens (don’t even get him started on our weird noses). But as he spends more and more time acting the part, the narrator begins to question his once strongly held belief that humans are ”a species of ugliness and violence, beyond redemption.” Despite what the aliens may think, The Humans is not so unlike the species the book details: funny, poignant, and full of heart. B+
The HumansProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....The HumansFictionMatt HaigProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....2013-06-28Simon & Schuster
THE HUMANS by Matt Haig
Genre: Fiction; Author: Matt Haig; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted June 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!