Professor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die. Enter our unnamed narrator, an alien sent to Earth to inhabit Martin’s body and halt human progress by erasing all evidence of the professor’s groundbreaking discovery. The future of the universe depends on it, according to the extraterrestrial beings. In Haig’s first novel since 2010’s The Radleys, the narrator faces the complicated tasks of navigating the planet’s social rules (e.g., clothes are important), managing relationships with Martin’s family (a wife and a teenage son), and coping with the generally grotesque Homo sapiens (don’t even get him started on our weird noses). But as he spends more and more time acting the part, the narrator begins to question his once strongly held belief that humans are ”a species of ugliness and violence, beyond redemption.” Despite what the aliens may think, The Humans is not so unlike the species the book details: funny, poignant, and full of heart. B+
The HumansProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....The HumansFictionMatt HaigProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....2013-06-28Simon & Schuster
THE HUMANS by Matt Haig
Genre: Fiction; Author: Matt Haig; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More