Professor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die. Enter our unnamed narrator, an alien sent to Earth to inhabit Martin’s body and halt human progress by erasing all evidence of the professor’s groundbreaking discovery. The future of the universe depends on it, according to the extraterrestrial beings. In Haig’s first novel since 2010’s The Radleys, the narrator faces the complicated tasks of navigating the planet’s social rules (e.g., clothes are important), managing relationships with Martin’s family (a wife and a teenage son), and coping with the generally grotesque Homo sapiens (don’t even get him started on our weird noses). But as he spends more and more time acting the part, the narrator begins to question his once strongly held belief that humans are ”a species of ugliness and violence, beyond redemption.” Despite what the aliens may think, The Humans is not so unlike the species the book details: funny, poignant, and full of heart. B+
The HumansProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....The HumansFictionMatt HaigProfessor Andrew Martin has just proved the Riemann hypothesis, believed by many to be the biggest problem in mathematics. And for that, he must die....2013-06-28Simon & Schuster
THE HUMANS by Matt Haig
Genre: Fiction; Author: Matt Haig; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!