“Caution: Explicit Content” warns a feverish cover stamp on the review copy of Nutting’s debut novel Tampa. And the first chapter is indeed a relentlessly graphic description of the masturbatory rituals of 26-year-old Celeste — a sociopathic viper who preys on 14-year-old boys — as she prepares for her first day teaching eighth grade. Some may be offended by the sexually vivid prose. This reader worried more about boredom. But despite a disappointing climax (sorry), the writing is often excellent, hilariously dark, and mean. While spying on a future conquest, Celeste cringes as a suburban woman jogs past her car: “She had the haunted look of someone who’s come from a dire place and was on her way to an even worse destination to deliver awful news.” Celeste is horrible. Reading about her was honestly disturbing and fun. B
Tampa"Caution: Explicit Content" warns a feverish cover stamp on the review copy of Nutting's debut novel Tampa. And the first chapter is...TampaFictionAlissa Nutting"Caution: Explicit Content" warns a feverish cover stamp on the review copy of Nutting's debut novel Tampa. And the first chapter is...2013-07-19Ecco Press
BAD TEACHER Tampa is a darkly good read about a truly depraved 8th grade teacher-seductress
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alissa Nutting; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!