There’s something slightly formulaic and familiar about Nat Faxon and Jim Rash’s coming-of-age film The Way, Way Back, but not enough to dampen its crowd-pleasing charm. Liam James stars as Duncan, a sad-eyed 14-year-old misfit who’s forced to spend the summer with his mother (Toni Collette), her new boyfriend (Steve Carell), and his teenage daughter (Zoe Levin) at a rustic beach house. It may not sound like much of a prison sentence, but his potential new stepdad’s endless bullying reinforces Duncan’s feelings of loser inadequacy. Then one day he pedals his mortifyingly girly pink bike to Water Wizz, an Adventureland-style amusement park. There he meets Sam Rockwell’s slacker savant, Owen, who notices how unhappy the kid is and makes it his personal crusade to pry him out of his shell. Rockwell, an actor who’s been so good for so long that he’s somehow been taken for granted in an industry that’s never quite known what to do with him, gooses the film with a manic sense of motormouthed anarchy. He’s like Bill Murray in Meatballs — an anti-authoritarian merry prankster with a Hawaiian shirt and a heart of gold. And naturally, lump-in-the-throat lessons are learned by Labor Day. Faxon and Rash, the Oscar-winning writing team behind 2011’s The Descendants, are experts at recognizing when the mood of their directorial debut needs lightening to prevent it from spiraling into an after-school special. I just wish that more of the film felt as wildly unpredictable as Rockwell’s performance. B
'WAY BACK' PLAYBACK Nat Faxon, Sam Rockwell, and Liam James are among the many faces in this stellar film (Claire Folger)
Starring: Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Sam Rockwell; Director: Nat Faxon, Jim Rash; Release Date Limited: 07/05/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted July 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!