The brief, simple sentences that form this elegant tone poem of a novel, called Snow Hunters, have the effect of making you slow down to read them — which is a fitting way to experience the story of a man unmoored by memory and time. After the Korean War, a North Korean soldier named Yohan immigrates to Brazil, where he learns how to engage with a colorful new world and new people — an old Japanese tailor, a groundskeeper, street urchins — even as his past crowds his mind. At times Yoon’s stripped-down style feels like restraint for the sake of aesthetics, but other moments perfectly capture Yohan’s reawakening spirit: ”He thought of these years as another life within the one he had. As though it were a thing he was able to carry.” B+
SNOW DAYS Author Paul Yoon's Snow Hunters is a poetic composition about a North Korean soldier's journey in Brazil.
Genre: Fiction; Author: Paul Yoon; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted August 2 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!