St. Germain was 20 when his mother was shot, allegedly by her fifth husband. Her death, coming just days after 9/11, merited a mere blip on the local news. But years later, questions about his mom — a former paratrooper who continually found herself in abusive relationships, unsteady jobs, and run-down trailer parks — began to haunt St. Germain, now a creative-writing professor. Revisiting his hometown of Tombstone, Ariz. (also home to famed gunslinger Wyatt Earp), he builds a visceral, compelling portrait of his mother and the violent culture that claimed her in Son of a Gun. B+
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE Author Justin St. Germain writes a gripping tale of his mother's death in this memoir.
Genre: Memoir; Author: Justin St. Germain; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 9 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hulu executive explains decision to pull '19 Kids & Counting'
- Mariah Carey calls 'American Idol' stint as 'the worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy
- Hilary Duff shares the track listing for 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.'
- TV mogul who helped launch Oprah Winfrey into daytime success dies