St. Germain was 20 when his mother was shot, allegedly by her fifth husband. Her death, coming just days after 9/11, merited a mere blip on the local news. But years later, questions about his mom — a former paratrooper who continually found herself in abusive relationships, unsteady jobs, and run-down trailer parks — began to haunt St. Germain, now a creative-writing professor. Revisiting his hometown of Tombstone, Ariz. (also home to famed gunslinger Wyatt Earp), he builds a visceral, compelling portrait of his mother and the violent culture that claimed her in Son of a Gun. B+
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE Author Justin St. Germain writes a gripping tale of his mother's death in this memoir.
Genre: Memoir; Author: Justin St. Germain; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!