St. Germain was 20 when his mother was shot, allegedly by her fifth husband. Her death, coming just days after 9/11, merited a mere blip on the local news. But years later, questions about his mom — a former paratrooper who continually found herself in abusive relationships, unsteady jobs, and run-down trailer parks — began to haunt St. Germain, now a creative-writing professor. Revisiting his hometown of Tombstone, Ariz. (also home to famed gunslinger Wyatt Earp), he builds a visceral, compelling portrait of his mother and the violent culture that claimed her in Son of a Gun. B+
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE Author Justin St. Germain writes a gripping tale of his mother's death in this memoir.
Genre: Memoir; Author: Justin St. Germain; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 9 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face' goes diamond
- Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan to be honored by Santa Barbara Film Festival
- 'Survivor Talk': Stephen and Ciera critique each other's games
- New honest trailer points out how 'Minions' is kind of like 'Joey'
- Digital stars call for YouTube to delete Sam Pepper's channel
- Fox responds to reports of bear rape in 'The Revenant'
- 'Scream Queens' exclusive: Black Friday gets bloody