St. Germain was 20 when his mother was shot, allegedly by her fifth husband. Her death, coming just days after 9/11, merited a mere blip on the local news. But years later, questions about his mom — a former paratrooper who continually found herself in abusive relationships, unsteady jobs, and run-down trailer parks — began to haunt St. Germain, now a creative-writing professor. Revisiting his hometown of Tombstone, Ariz. (also home to famed gunslinger Wyatt Earp), he builds a visceral, compelling portrait of his mother and the violent culture that claimed her in Son of a Gun. B+
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE Author Justin St. Germain writes a gripping tale of his mother's death in this memoir.
Genre: Memoir; Author: Justin St. Germain; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 9 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Julie Chen on 'Big Brother' showmances: 'Go for it!'
- Leonardo DiCaprio to play rock and roll innovator Sam Phillips
- 'Teen Wolf' cast added to EW PopFest lineup