As he set out to direct Charles Dickens’ classic novel Great Expectations, Mike Newell fixated on one question: ”Why is Pip such a little s—?” To Newell, the story’s orphan hero (played by War Horse’s Jeremy Irvine) is ”treacherous and unthinking, uncaring of the people who love him most.” That includes Miss Havisham (Helena Bonham Carter), a wealthy spinster who hasn’t stepped outdoors since being left at the altar decades earlier, and her ward, Estella (The Borgias’ Holliday Grainger), who won’t return Pip’s affections — even after he’s thrown into London’s high society. Ultimately, though, Newell pities Pip. ”He’s an abused child,” he says. ”What you’re looking at is: What is the fallout of emotional abuse?”
EXPECT GREATNESS Helena Bonham Carter is just one of many stars in Mike Newell's adaptation of Great Expectations (Johan Persson)
Posted August 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!