Metallica didn’t want to do yet another boring concert film. ”I don’t think anybody needed another version of a band on tour getting out of a limo and folding a piece of salami on a cracker,” says drummer Lars Ulrich. Enter director and longtime Metallica fan Nimród Antal (Predators), who dreamed up an action-heavy narrative that sends a roadie (Chronicle’s Dane DeHaan) on a series of nighttime misadventures while the band shreds through its back catalog in 3-D close-ups. ”The cameras are right up your ass the whole time, and you’re sweating, spitting, and bleeding on them,” says Ulrich. ”That lends an intimacy to the show.”
MIXED METALS Dane DeHaan plays a roadie sent on the mission of his life (Carole Segal)
Posted August 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!