Metallica didn’t want to do yet another boring concert film. ”I don’t think anybody needed another version of a band on tour getting out of a limo and folding a piece of salami on a cracker,” says drummer Lars Ulrich. Enter director and longtime Metallica fan Nimród Antal (Predators), who dreamed up an action-heavy narrative that sends a roadie (Chronicle’s Dane DeHaan) on a series of nighttime misadventures while the band shreds through its back catalog in 3-D close-ups. ”The cameras are right up your ass the whole time, and you’re sweating, spitting, and bleeding on them,” says Ulrich. ”That lends an intimacy to the show.”
MIXED METALS Dane DeHaan plays a roadie sent on the mission of his life (Carole Segal)
Posted August 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!