As Anne, a self-described ”college whisperer,” in Early Decision, shepherds five Chicago high school seniors through the application process, their stories emerge through late-night phone calls, fraught conversations with their parents, even drafts of their Common App essays. Overbearing moms and dads scheming to secure their kid a place at Harvard will find this novel more helpful than any nonfiction book on the market. But everyone else can enjoy Early Decision for what it is: a sweetly sharp modern-day comedy of manners about the brutally competitive college-admissions ordeal. B+
THE OLD COLLEGE TRY Author Lacy Crawford casts a comedic and empathetic eye at the college application process in Early Decision
Genre: Fiction; Author: Lacy Crawford; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted August 23 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'
- NBC's 'The Wiz Live!' finds its Cowardly Lion
- ABC's 'Scandal' team on how they'd handle Donald Trump
- Lenny Kravitz breaks silence on #penisgate with text from Steven Tyler
- A 'Lion King' animator drew a perfect tribute to Cecil the lion