NBC’s coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, might have to add a new event: extreme boycotting. On Aug. 14 Bravo exec Andy Cohen, 45, bowed out of cohosting Miss Universe on NBC because the pageant, which airs in November, is being held in Russia. Cohen told E! News that he ”didn’t feel right as a gay man stepping foot in Russia” after the country enacted a law in June banning the public discussion of gay issues. Cohen’s protest is just an early shot in what could become a cold war between NBC and gay-rights advocates. NBC, which paid a reported $775 million to broadcast the February Games, has in the past managed to maintain its brand of inspiring competition coverage while skating around host-country controversies (such as China’s human-rights record in 2008), but the Russian row is threatening to unleash a blizzard of protest. Out Olympic skater Johnny Weir, 29, told CBS News on Aug. 9 that he plans to compete despite the risk: ”If it takes me getting arrested for people to pay attention…then I’m willing to take it.” While NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus told reporters last month, ”We will address it if it becomes an issue,” the network had no comment on Cohen’s announcement.
Posted August 23 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Marvel's Jessica Jones is 'incredibly flawed'
- Want to buy Jesse's 'Breaking Bad' house?
- 'Outlander' exclusive: King Louis XV cast for season 2
- Matthew Broderick joins Broadway's dog play, Sylvia
- Hunter S. Thompson talks outlaws and Hell's Angels in new 'Blank on Blank' clip
- Get a first look at NBC’s new thriller 'Blindspot'
- Little Mix give Whitney Houston and Jason Derulo an awesome gospel-style mash up
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!