When is a mumblecore movie about middle-class hipster love not a mumblecore movie? When it stars Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick. In Drinking Buddies , Joe Swanberg’s disarming ramble of a romantic comedy, Wilde plays Kate, who works for a microbrewery run by Luke (Jake Johnson), her flirtatious and touchy-feely best pal. Both of them are in relationships: Kate with the dour, bookish Chris (Ron Livingston); Luke with the perky Jill (Kendrick), who adores him but isn’t sure he’ll go the distance. Neither are we. Drinking Buddies keeps us off balance about the vital question of who should be with whom. Each time we’re sure we know, Swanberg turns the tables, and does it with small shadings of talk and body language that give the movie its rich-brew bohemian flavor, even when what little plot there is just sits there. The actors all blend terrifically, making this the film equivalent of great hang time. B+ (Available on VOD)
IMMA BUY YOU A DRANK Olivia Wilde and Jake Johnson square off as friends with no benefits but lots of tension in Drinking Buddies (Magnolia Pictures)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jason Sudeikis, Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingston, Olivia Wilde; Director: Joe Swanberg; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!