When is a mumblecore movie about middle-class hipster love not a mumblecore movie? When it stars Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick. In Drinking Buddies , Joe Swanberg’s disarming ramble of a romantic comedy, Wilde plays Kate, who works for a microbrewery run by Luke (Jake Johnson), her flirtatious and touchy-feely best pal. Both of them are in relationships: Kate with the dour, bookish Chris (Ron Livingston); Luke with the perky Jill (Kendrick), who adores him but isn’t sure he’ll go the distance. Neither are we. Drinking Buddies keeps us off balance about the vital question of who should be with whom. Each time we’re sure we know, Swanberg turns the tables, and does it with small shadings of talk and body language that give the movie its rich-brew bohemian flavor, even when what little plot there is just sits there. The actors all blend terrifically, making this the film equivalent of great hang time. B+ (Available on VOD)
IMMA BUY YOU A DRANK Olivia Wilde and Jake Johnson square off as friends with no benefits but lots of tension in Drinking Buddies (Magnolia Pictures)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jason Sudeikis, Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingston, Olivia Wilde; Director: Joe Swanberg; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!