The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel