The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Beyoncé birthday wishes from Gwyneth Paltrow, Blue Ivy, and more
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Alison Brie offers unqualified dating advice on 'The Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Fallon plays 'Family Feud' on 'The Tonight Show'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!