The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!