The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lionsgate is making a movie out of a 'Night of the Living Dead' comic book spinoff
- 'Everybody Loves Raymond' reunion set for ATX Fest in 2016
- Kurt Russell rides again in the cannibal-western 'Bone Tomahawk'
- Snapchat original programming channel 'winding down'
- Beach House stream three songs from surprise album
- Tim McGraw drops video for 'Damn Country Music'
- 'Grandfathered' star Josh Peck talks possible 'Drake & Josh' reunion
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6