The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'