The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Marie Lu's 'The Midnight Star'
- WATCH: Jennifer Esposito and Wilmer Valderrama debut on 'NCIS'
- MTV VMAs producer: Rihanna to deliver 'holy crap VMA moment'
- Alan Tudyk, Nathan Fillion unveil 'Con Man: The Game' in exclusive trailer
- 'Trick 'r Treat' character Sam to become Halloween digital decoration
- Elton John, Britney Spears, more to headline Apple Music Festival
- David Crosby releases 'The City,' a musical ode to New York