The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Darby Stanchfield was surprised to learn that the NBA loves 'Scandal'
- Watch YouTube star Grace Helbig become a hermit crab for 'Oscar's Hotel'
- Is Michael Fassbender the best Steve Jobs yet?
- One Direction reveals next single, 'Perfect'
- 'Jane the Virgin' boss teases new 'drama, intrigue, and changing dynamics' for season 2
- See Mondo's new poster for horror-comedy 'The Final Girls'
- 'Reign' exclusive: Francis will die in season 3