The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Limitless' is hosting a Bollywood dance number: Get your first look
- 'The Worst Witch' headed for a TV reboot on CBBC
- Emily Blunt channels 'Frozen' in new trailer for 'The Huntsman: Winter's War'
- Ubisoft confirms no major 'Assassin's Creed' release for 2016
- Shawn Ashmore is hunted down in 'Quantum Break' trailer
- Mayhem is on the menu in new trailer for 'The Invitation'
- Ryan Reynolds had Deadpool's charisma, cheek, and... tongue, says creator