The Grandmaster sounds like a kick-ass banquet. It’s the story of Ip Man, the Wing Chun martial-arts legend who trained Bruce Lee, and it was directed by the heady sensualist Wong Kar-wai. Tony Leung plays Ip Man with his old-movie charisma and reserve, but the film, despite a few splendid fights, is a biohistorical muddle that never finds its center. Maybe that’s because — big mistake! — it never gets to Bruce Lee. C+
GRANDMASTER FLASH OR NO FLASH? Another retelling of the tale of Ip Man, the martial arts legend (Weinstein)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang; Director: Kar Wai Wong; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Megan Hilty reveals if she'd join the full stage production of 'Bombshell'
- 'X-Files' creator Chris Carter picks 10 episodes to watch before the revival
- Journey drummer Deen Castronovo indicted with rape charge
- 'Terminator: Genisys' director on working for Marvel: 'Particularly wrenching'
- Pharrell drops 'Freedom' during Beats 1 launch
- Stephen Colbert answers John Oliver's call to give 20 push-ups for the troops
- Hear a new Santigold song from 'Paper Towns'