Planes, which is essentially Cars in the air, might be the first Pixar movie that isn’t technically a Pixar movie. It’s being released under the Disney banner, yet in essence it’s the real Cars sequel — much more so than the shiny but exhaustingly frenetic Cars 2. This one carbon-copies the original Cars with too much predictability, but it’s got the heart and soul that Cars 2 was missing, and it’s every bit as dazzlingly animated. Dane Cook, who can be so unappealing in live-action roles, is touching and sharp as the voice of Dusty Crophopper, a crop-dusting propeller plane who dreams of being a fighter jet (despite the fact that he’s scared of heights). Yes, there’s a Mater-like sidekick (voiced by Brad Garrett), as well as a version of Paul Newman’s broken-down old racer (Stacy Keach as a broken-down war jet with a secret). Yet what Planes lacks in novelty, it makes up for with eye-popping aerial sequences and a high-flying comic spirit. B
SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS Planes soars with its visually appealing imagery and sense of humor (Disney/Pixar)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Jon Cryer, Dane Cook; Director: Klay Hall; Release Date Wide: 08/09/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted August 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'NCIS: LA' sneak peek: Callen is going rogue
- 'Hindsight' canceled by VH1
- Listen to 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical' cast sing 'California'
- Ellen Page says it's 'borderline offensive' to call actors brave for playing LGBTQ roles
- How 'Hannibal' was 'The Sopranos'
- Everything you need to know about 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!