Get your mind out of the gutter. This isn’t about porn. Nine inches refers to the space that must separate junior high schoolers at a dance. In his first short-story collection in 19 years, Perrotta (Little Children) mines his familiar but fascinating territory — the intersection of class, envy, and boredom in suburbia. The standouts: ”The Smile on Happy Chang’s Face,” about a Little League game that turns into Armageddon, and ”Backrub,” about a teenager rejected from every college he applied to who turns to running pizza and drugs. B+
MEASURE FOR MEASURE Nine Inches is Tom Perotta's newest short-story collection in nearly two decades
Genre: Short Stories; Author: Tom Perrotta; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted September 13 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'