Get your mind out of the gutter. This isn’t about porn. Nine inches refers to the space that must separate junior high schoolers at a dance. In his first short-story collection in 19 years, Perrotta (Little Children) mines his familiar but fascinating territory — the intersection of class, envy, and boredom in suburbia. The standouts: ”The Smile on Happy Chang’s Face,” about a Little League game that turns into Armageddon, and ”Backrub,” about a teenager rejected from every college he applied to who turns to running pizza and drugs. B+
MEASURE FOR MEASURE Nine Inches is Tom Perotta's newest short-story collection in nearly two decades
Genre: Short Stories; Author: Tom Perrotta; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted September 13 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...