Get your mind out of the gutter. This isn’t about porn. Nine inches refers to the space that must separate junior high schoolers at a dance. In his first short-story collection in 19 years, Perrotta (Little Children) mines his familiar but fascinating territory — the intersection of class, envy, and boredom in suburbia. The standouts: ”The Smile on Happy Chang’s Face,” about a Little League game that turns into Armageddon, and ”Backrub,” about a teenager rejected from every college he applied to who turns to running pizza and drugs. B+
MEASURE FOR MEASURE Nine Inches is Tom Perotta's newest short-story collection in nearly two decades
Genre: Short Stories; Author: Tom Perrotta; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted September 13 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andrew Lincoln agrees his 'Love Actually' character is a ‘stalker’
- 'Shameless' first look: The Gallaghers get a visitor from 'Twin Peaks'
- 5 things to expect from the Grammys
- What To Watch Tonight: 'The Walking Dead' cast goes 'Inside the Actors Studio'
- 'Limitless' is hosting a Bollywood dance number: Get your first look
- 'The Worst Witch' headed for a TV reboot on CBBC
- Emily Blunt channels 'Frozen' in new trailer for 'The Huntsman: Winter's War'