Watching All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, you might think: Gee, Amber Heard is aging really well. But the 27-year-old actress doesn’t have some arcane beauty secret up her sleeve; this slice-and-dice teen body-count flick was actually shot seven years ago. Thanks to a bum-luck string of distribution woes, Mandy Lane has collected a thick coating of dust since then — and, not surprisingly, a bit of a cult following. After all, if horror aficionados couldn’t see it, it had to be good, right? Wrong. Heard is the untouchable It Girl of the title — a sun-kissed blonde who seems to walk in slow motion down the hallways of her Texas high school while the jocks and stoners stand slack-jawed, drooling like a pack of horny wolves. At first, she doesn’t give them the time of day. But after some arm twisting, she’s persuaded to join a group of dim-bulb classmates for a weekend blowout at a remote cattle ranch. As the leering boys attempt their fumbling passes, Mandy grows more interested in the brooding ranch hand (Anson Mount), who seems a bit on-the-nose as a suspect once the kids start to get picked off in grisly but ineptly shot fashion. Directed by Jonathan Levine (50/50, Warm Bodies), Mandy Lane does eventually build to a whiplash twist ending, but it’s too little, too late — much like the film itself. Here’s a case where the backstory is more interesting than the movie. (Now available on VOD) C
THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF SCREAMING Amber Heard stars in this long-shelved horror piece (Mike Osborne)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Amber Heard, Anson Mount; Director: Jonathan Levine; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: RADiUS-TWC
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!