Watching All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, you might think: Gee, Amber Heard is aging really well. But the 27-year-old actress doesn’t have some arcane beauty secret up her sleeve; this slice-and-dice teen body-count flick was actually shot seven years ago. Thanks to a bum-luck string of distribution woes, Mandy Lane has collected a thick coating of dust since then — and, not surprisingly, a bit of a cult following. After all, if horror aficionados couldn’t see it, it had to be good, right? Wrong. Heard is the untouchable It Girl of the title — a sun-kissed blonde who seems to walk in slow motion down the hallways of her Texas high school while the jocks and stoners stand slack-jawed, drooling like a pack of horny wolves. At first, she doesn’t give them the time of day. But after some arm twisting, she’s persuaded to join a group of dim-bulb classmates for a weekend blowout at a remote cattle ranch. As the leering boys attempt their fumbling passes, Mandy grows more interested in the brooding ranch hand (Anson Mount), who seems a bit on-the-nose as a suspect once the kids start to get picked off in grisly but ineptly shot fashion. Directed by Jonathan Levine (50/50, Warm Bodies), Mandy Lane does eventually build to a whiplash twist ending, but it’s too little, too late — much like the film itself. Here’s a case where the backstory is more interesting than the movie. (Now available on VOD) C
THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF SCREAMING Amber Heard stars in this long-shelved horror piece (Mike Osborne)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Amber Heard, Anson Mount; Director: Jonathan Levine; Release Date Limited: 10/11/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: RADiUS-TWC
Posted September 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fall Out Boyz II Men perform 'Motownphilly' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- 'Hamilton' creator wrote new cantina music for 'Star Wars'
- Spotify reveals most streamed artist of the year
- 5 questions from the season 2 premiere of 'Transparent'
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller