Loneliness plays subtle tricks on Ruth, a widow who, in isolation and old age, imagines a tiger prowling through her living room one night, in The Night Guest. Shortly after, a brassy and capable government nurse named Frida arrives unbidden at Ruth’s remote home on the Australian shore. Initially, Ruth is glad to have this lively woman adding color to her days, but as their relationship deepens into an intense intimacy, Frida gives Ruth reason to doubt her identity and intentions. What at first appears to be a quiet little novel proves an enthralling psychological thriller in which every gesture and detail is loaded with meaning. This stellar debut will haunt you — and remind you to call your mother. A-
BE MY GUEST Author Fiona McFarlane transforms a small hospitable gesture into a gripping psychological tale in The Night Guest
Genre: Fiction; Author: Fiona McFarlane; Publisher: Faber & Faber
Posted October 4 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Eddie Redmayne stuns in new posters for 'The Danish Girl'
- Walt Disney experts dismiss allegations he was anti-Semitic
- See the latest trailer for 'The Intern'
- John Oliver uses song to explain why Washington, D.C., should become a state
- David Byrne calls for streaming service transparency in op-ed
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!