Loneliness plays subtle tricks on Ruth, a widow who, in isolation and old age, imagines a tiger prowling through her living room one night, in The Night Guest. Shortly after, a brassy and capable government nurse named Frida arrives unbidden at Ruth’s remote home on the Australian shore. Initially, Ruth is glad to have this lively woman adding color to her days, but as their relationship deepens into an intense intimacy, Frida gives Ruth reason to doubt her identity and intentions. What at first appears to be a quiet little novel proves an enthralling psychological thriller in which every gesture and detail is loaded with meaning. This stellar debut will haunt you — and remind you to call your mother. A-
BE MY GUEST Author Fiona McFarlane transforms a small hospitable gesture into a gripping psychological tale in The Night Guest
Genre: Fiction; Author: Fiona McFarlane; Publisher: Faber & Faber
Posted October 4 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!