Loneliness plays subtle tricks on Ruth, a widow who, in isolation and old age, imagines a tiger prowling through her living room one night, in The Night Guest. Shortly after, a brassy and capable government nurse named Frida arrives unbidden at Ruth’s remote home on the Australian shore. Initially, Ruth is glad to have this lively woman adding color to her days, but as their relationship deepens into an intense intimacy, Frida gives Ruth reason to doubt her identity and intentions. What at first appears to be a quiet little novel proves an enthralling psychological thriller in which every gesture and detail is loaded with meaning. This stellar debut will haunt you — and remind you to call your mother. A-
BE MY GUEST Author Fiona McFarlane transforms a small hospitable gesture into a gripping psychological tale in The Night Guest
Genre: Fiction; Author: Fiona McFarlane; Publisher: Faber & Faber
Posted October 4 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!