Loneliness plays subtle tricks on Ruth, a widow who, in isolation and old age, imagines a tiger prowling through her living room one night, in The Night Guest. Shortly after, a brassy and capable government nurse named Frida arrives unbidden at Ruth’s remote home on the Australian shore. Initially, Ruth is glad to have this lively woman adding color to her days, but as their relationship deepens into an intense intimacy, Frida gives Ruth reason to doubt her identity and intentions. What at first appears to be a quiet little novel proves an enthralling psychological thriller in which every gesture and detail is loaded with meaning. This stellar debut will haunt you — and remind you to call your mother. A-
BE MY GUEST Author Fiona McFarlane transforms a small hospitable gesture into a gripping psychological tale in The Night Guest
Genre: Fiction; Author: Fiona McFarlane; Publisher: Faber & Faber
Posted October 4 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- Joe Biden calls out Donald Trump's 'malarkey' in blistering speech
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels