It’s official: Ronan Farrow has joined MSNBC as the host of a new show in development, the cable news network announced Wednesday. The weekday, one-hour series is not yet titled and will launch early next year.
“Ronan has established himself as a provocative, independent journalist capable of challenging people’s assumptions and empowering audiences,” said Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC. “His show will be a game changer for MSNBC, representing a fresh approach to how we deliver news. Ronan has packed more experience into his 25 years of life than most people have in a lifetime.”
Mia Farrow’s son has recently been in the headlines following his mother hinting that his father could “possibly” be Frank Sinatra, not Woody Allen, a suggestion that Ronan has downplayed.
In a statement, Farrow declared that he’ll represent a new generation of cable news viewers: “This is a new generation of news show for a new, more engaged generation of viewers,” he said. “It’s a show about why the news matters to you – and what you can do to be a part of the story. I’m excited to shake up people’s expectations for cable news. And to get a ton of Twitter followers.”
The Yale Law School graduate had previously been reported to have been in talks with the cable outlet. Farrow was a foreign policy official in Obama’s first administration and served for two years as a US diplomat focused on the conflict in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He has also written about human rights and foreign policy for the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the Wall Street Journal and other publications.