When 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart was snatched from her Salt Lake City bedroom back in 2002 by a stranger brandishing a wickedly serrated knife, she thought, ”He is going to hurt or kill me!” Yet she did not panic. And over the next nine months, as she endured rape, hunger, thirst, filth, and piercing cold, she refused to cave in to despair. ”The realization that my family would still love me proved to be the turning point,” she writes. ”I would do whatever it took to live.” It’s inspiring to read about her ordeal — what backbone, what grit! — but it’s also tough, since she’s so detailed and graphic. If the book, My Story, has a flaw, it’s that it ends on a weirdly abrupt note, glossing over both Smart’s recovery and her recent children’s advocacy work in just a couple of pages. B
TRUE GRIT Kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart details her ordeal in My Story
Genre: Memoir; Author: Elizabeth Smart, Chris Stewart; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted October 21 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!