A tragic event can ripple through a family for generations. After 27 years of marriage and three children, artist Anna Oh has left her husband, Orion, because she’s fallen in love with her agent, Viveca. That would be plenty of drama for any family, but as Wally Lamb (She’s Come Undone) masterfully unfolds the tale, in We Are Water, it becomes clear that a fatal accident half a century earlier is what set the Ohs’ chain of events in motion. Lamb takes his time, peeling back the layers of family secrets and lies. He uses multiple narrative voices with varying degrees of success (reading the point of view of a pedophile is more than a little uncomfortable). Yet despite its occasional unevenness, this family saga is hard to put down. B+
FAMILY TIES Author Wally Lamb tells a tale of family saga through multiple narrative voices
Genre: Fiction; Author: Wally Lamb; Status: In Season; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted October 21 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Power/Rangers' short film creator releases bootleg James Bond film
- Katy Perry selling Left Shark onesies
- George Takei: Nimoy 'the most human person I've ever met'
- Zachary Quinto on Leonard Nimoy: 'a father figure to me'
- Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell in 'Get Hard': Red-band trailer really, REALLY NSFW
- Natalie Dormer stars in Hozier's 'Someone New' video
- Vincent D'Onofrio as 'Daredevil' nemesis Wilson Fisk: First Look