The Simpsons are staging a The Hobbit parody couch gag Sunday night and it’s only appropriate that it’s one of the longest director’s-cut-length couch gags ever. The Fox hit’s unique opening credits closer is normally a few seconds; this is 1:30. The unexpected journey starts with a very Simpsons-ized version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth map (my favorite entry: the fearsome wasteland of “LAX Self Parking”), then our heroes pass Moe-as-Gollum and Mr. Burns-as-Smaug. The sequence is from Nov. 3’s episode “4 Regrettings and a Funeral,” (no, the funeral is not for the late Marcia Wallace’s character Edna Krabappel, and nor is this the “significant character being killed off” episode, which will air next season; I’m told the funeral is for a minor character). Check it out below:
Posted October 30 2013 — 7:23 PM EDT
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' bosses & cast preview epic crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'