The Simpsons are staging a The Hobbit parody couch gag Sunday night and it’s only appropriate that it’s one of the longest director’s-cut-length couch gags ever. The Fox hit’s unique opening credits closer is normally a few seconds; this is 1:30. The unexpected journey starts with a very Simpsons-ized version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth map (my favorite entry: the fearsome wasteland of “LAX Self Parking”), then our heroes pass Moe-as-Gollum and Mr. Burns-as-Smaug. The sequence is from Nov. 3’s episode “4 Regrettings and a Funeral,” (no, the funeral is not for the late Marcia Wallace’s character Edna Krabappel, and nor is this the “significant character being killed off” episode, which will air next season; I’m told the funeral is for a minor character). Check it out below:
Posted October 30 2013 — 7:23 PM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!