The Simpsons are staging a The Hobbit parody couch gag Sunday night and it’s only appropriate that it’s one of the longest director’s-cut-length couch gags ever. The Fox hit’s unique opening credits closer is normally a few seconds; this is 1:30. The unexpected journey starts with a very Simpsons-ized version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth map (my favorite entry: the fearsome wasteland of “LAX Self Parking”), then our heroes pass Moe-as-Gollum and Mr. Burns-as-Smaug. The sequence is from Nov. 3’s episode “4 Regrettings and a Funeral,” (no, the funeral is not for the late Marcia Wallace’s character Edna Krabappel, and nor is this the “significant character being killed off” episode, which will air next season; I’m told the funeral is for a minor character). Check it out below:
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:26 PM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!