The Simpsons are staging a The Hobbit parody couch gag Sunday night and it’s only appropriate that it’s one of the longest director’s-cut-length couch gags ever. The Fox hit’s unique opening credits closer is normally a few seconds; this is 1:30. The unexpected journey starts with a very Simpsons-ized version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth map (my favorite entry: the fearsome wasteland of “LAX Self Parking”), then our heroes pass Moe-as-Gollum and Mr. Burns-as-Smaug. The sequence is from Nov. 3’s episode “4 Regrettings and a Funeral,” (no, the funeral is not for the late Marcia Wallace’s character Edna Krabappel, and nor is this the “significant character being killed off” episode, which will air next season; I’m told the funeral is for a minor character). Check it out below:
Posted October 30 2013 — 7:23 PM EDT
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!