Memoirs of a Geisha Part 2, anyone? Separated from her white mother and dumped in a Shanghai brothel, half-Chinese Violet Minturn is forced to master the art of wooing powerful men while clinging fiercely to her identity, which turns out to be more complicated than she imagined. Tan isn’t quite at the height of her storytelling powers here, but she still sweeps you up in the wildly changing fortunes of a whip-smart courtesan. B+
PEAKS AND LOWS Author Amy Tan's latest novel is high on action and low on displaying her usual narrative gifts
Genre: Fiction; Author: Amy Tan; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted November 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt