Memoirs of a Geisha Part 2, anyone? Separated from her white mother and dumped in a Shanghai brothel, half-Chinese Violet Minturn is forced to master the art of wooing powerful men while clinging fiercely to her identity, which turns out to be more complicated than she imagined. Tan isn’t quite at the height of her storytelling powers here, but she still sweeps you up in the wildly changing fortunes of a whip-smart courtesan. B+
PEAKS AND LOWS Author Amy Tan's latest novel is high on action and low on displaying her usual narrative gifts
Genre: Fiction; Author: Amy Tan; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted November 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game