Memoirs of a Geisha Part 2, anyone? Separated from her white mother and dumped in a Shanghai brothel, half-Chinese Violet Minturn is forced to master the art of wooing powerful men while clinging fiercely to her identity, which turns out to be more complicated than she imagined. Tan isn’t quite at the height of her storytelling powers here, but she still sweeps you up in the wildly changing fortunes of a whip-smart courtesan. B+
PEAKS AND LOWS Author Amy Tan's latest novel is high on action and low on displaying her usual narrative gifts
Genre: Fiction; Author: Amy Tan; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted November 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'