Memoirs of a Geisha Part 2, anyone? Separated from her white mother and dumped in a Shanghai brothel, half-Chinese Violet Minturn is forced to master the art of wooing powerful men while clinging fiercely to her identity, which turns out to be more complicated than she imagined. Tan isn’t quite at the height of her storytelling powers here, but she still sweeps you up in the wildly changing fortunes of a whip-smart courtesan. B+
PEAKS AND LOWS Author Amy Tan's latest novel is high on action and low on displaying her usual narrative gifts
Genre: Fiction; Author: Amy Tan; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted November 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!