Memoirs of a Geisha Part 2, anyone? Separated from her white mother and dumped in a Shanghai brothel, half-Chinese Violet Minturn is forced to master the art of wooing powerful men while clinging fiercely to her identity, which turns out to be more complicated than she imagined. Tan isn’t quite at the height of her storytelling powers here, but she still sweeps you up in the wildly changing fortunes of a whip-smart courtesan. B+
PEAKS AND LOWS Author Amy Tan's latest novel is high on action and low on displaying her usual narrative gifts
Genre: Fiction; Author: Amy Tan; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted November 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Gloria Steinem's 'My Life on the Road' to hit shelves in October
- Watch Jason Segel channel David Foster Wallace in The End of the Tour trailer
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- New 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'?
- Blink-182, Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!