While growing up in Arkansas, did Johnny Cash really sing to calm his nerves when he heard the howl of panthers in the woods, as he liked to claim? Probably not, says Robert Hilburn, who investigates the tale on the book’s first page. (Bobcats? Maybe. Panthers? No!) This debunking sets the tone for an assiduously researched and entertaining book, Johnny Cash; Hilburn rightly believes his subject’s life is so extraordinary that there’s no need for fanciful embellishment from anyone, including Cash himself. B+
CASH AND CARRY-ING ON A LEGACY Author Robert Hilburn demystifies the biographical tall tales of Johnny Cash
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Robert Hilburn; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere