While growing up in Arkansas, did Johnny Cash really sing to calm his nerves when he heard the howl of panthers in the woods, as he liked to claim? Probably not, says Robert Hilburn, who investigates the tale on the book’s first page. (Bobcats? Maybe. Panthers? No!) This debunking sets the tone for an assiduously researched and entertaining book, Johnny Cash; Hilburn rightly believes his subject’s life is so extraordinary that there’s no need for fanciful embellishment from anyone, including Cash himself. B+
CASH AND CARRY-ING ON A LEGACY Author Robert Hilburn demystifies the biographical tall tales of Johnny Cash
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Robert Hilburn; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- People are naming their kids after the 'Empire' family
- Academy unveils shortlist of 15 Best Documentary contenders
- Mark Zuckerberg welcomes baby, pledges 99% of Facebook stock to charity
- See exclusive preview pages from Z2 Comics' 'Carver: A Paris Adventure'
- Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face' goes diamond
- Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan to be honored by Santa Barbara Film Festival
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Stephen & Ciera critique each other on 'Survivor Talk'