While growing up in Arkansas, did Johnny Cash really sing to calm his nerves when he heard the howl of panthers in the woods, as he liked to claim? Probably not, says Robert Hilburn, who investigates the tale on the book’s first page. (Bobcats? Maybe. Panthers? No!) This debunking sets the tone for an assiduously researched and entertaining book, Johnny Cash; Hilburn rightly believes his subject’s life is so extraordinary that there’s no need for fanciful embellishment from anyone, including Cash himself. B+
CASH AND CARRY-ING ON A LEGACY Author Robert Hilburn demystifies the biographical tall tales of Johnny Cash
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Robert Hilburn; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Clinton Trump debate: How many will watch?
- Zach Galifianakis calls Donald Trump 'mentally challenged'
- Garth Brooks earns historic RIAA achievement
- How Arnold Palmer invented the Arnold Palmer drink, in his words
- WATCH: 'Stranger Things' kids share their Upside Down theories
- Joss Whedon shares which Avenger he’d pick as president
- 'Game of Thrones': Emilia Clarke bares teeth with her 'dragon pack'