While growing up in Arkansas, did Johnny Cash really sing to calm his nerves when he heard the howl of panthers in the woods, as he liked to claim? Probably not, says Robert Hilburn, who investigates the tale on the book’s first page. (Bobcats? Maybe. Panthers? No!) This debunking sets the tone for an assiduously researched and entertaining book, Johnny Cash; Hilburn rightly believes his subject’s life is so extraordinary that there’s no need for fanciful embellishment from anyone, including Cash himself. B+
CASH AND CARRY-ING ON A LEGACY Author Robert Hilburn demystifies the biographical tall tales of Johnny Cash
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Robert Hilburn; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Original Hedwig John Cameron Mitchell to receive special Tony Award
- Chance the Rapper remixes Jeremih's 'Planes'
- 'Homeland' goes to Germany for season 5
- 'Grey's Anatomy' tried to warn us McDreamy was doomed...
- 'Friday Night Lights' alum joins 'Chicago Fire'
- Daniel Brühl confirms role as Marvel villain
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Sansa is a 'fake it till you make it' expert on 'Game of Thrones'