While growing up in Arkansas, did Johnny Cash really sing to calm his nerves when he heard the howl of panthers in the woods, as he liked to claim? Probably not, says Robert Hilburn, who investigates the tale on the book’s first page. (Bobcats? Maybe. Panthers? No!) This debunking sets the tone for an assiduously researched and entertaining book, Johnny Cash; Hilburn rightly believes his subject’s life is so extraordinary that there’s no need for fanciful embellishment from anyone, including Cash himself. B+
CASH AND CARRY-ING ON A LEGACY Author Robert Hilburn demystifies the biographical tall tales of Johnny Cash
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Robert Hilburn; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!