Ann Patchett is (justifiably) known for her luminous fiction, especially Bel Canto and State of Wonder, but as this collection of 22 essays proves, she’s every bit as deft when it comes to nonfiction. Each piece — whether about her failed marriage, the love of an adopted dog, or a vacation spent marooned in a hotel room — is wit-filled and elegantly executed, in This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage. When read together, they form an autobiography, giving us a peek at the creator of such wonderful novels. B+
LOVE AND MARRIAGE Fiction writer Ann Patchett takes a stab at nonfiction with her beautiful autobiographical vignettes
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Ann Patchett; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'