Ann Patchett is (justifiably) known for her luminous fiction, especially Bel Canto and State of Wonder, but as this collection of 22 essays proves, she’s every bit as deft when it comes to nonfiction. Each piece — whether about her failed marriage, the love of an adopted dog, or a vacation spent marooned in a hotel room — is wit-filled and elegantly executed, in This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage. When read together, they form an autobiography, giving us a peek at the creator of such wonderful novels. B+
LOVE AND MARRIAGE Fiction writer Ann Patchett takes a stab at nonfiction with her beautiful autobiographical vignettes
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Ann Patchett; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Patricia Arquette to voice witch in Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!