Ann Patchett is (justifiably) known for her luminous fiction, especially Bel Canto and State of Wonder, but as this collection of 22 essays proves, she’s every bit as deft when it comes to nonfiction. Each piece — whether about her failed marriage, the love of an adopted dog, or a vacation spent marooned in a hotel room — is wit-filled and elegantly executed, in This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage. When read together, they form an autobiography, giving us a peek at the creator of such wonderful novels. B+
LOVE AND MARRIAGE Fiction writer Ann Patchett takes a stab at nonfiction with her beautiful autobiographical vignettes
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Ann Patchett; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!