Ann Patchett is (justifiably) known for her luminous fiction, especially Bel Canto and State of Wonder, but as this collection of 22 essays proves, she’s every bit as deft when it comes to nonfiction. Each piece — whether about her failed marriage, the love of an adopted dog, or a vacation spent marooned in a hotel room — is wit-filled and elegantly executed, in This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage. When read together, they form an autobiography, giving us a peek at the creator of such wonderful novels. B+
LOVE AND MARRIAGE Fiction writer Ann Patchett takes a stab at nonfiction with her beautiful autobiographical vignettes
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Ann Patchett; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted November 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!