Ann Patchett is (justifiably) known for her luminous fiction, especially Bel Canto and State of Wonder, but as this collection of 22 essays proves, she’s every bit as deft when it comes to nonfiction. Each piece — whether about her failed marriage, the love of an adopted dog, or a vacation spent marooned in a hotel room — is wit-filled and elegantly executed, in This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage. When read together, they form an autobiography, giving us a peek at the creator of such wonderful novels. B+
LOVE AND MARRIAGE Fiction writer Ann Patchett takes a stab at nonfiction with her beautiful autobiographical vignettes
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Ann Patchett; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as 'Suicide Squad' Joker: David Ayer tweets a photo
- Why Tidal's success (or failure) doesn't matter
- Celebrities express their support for Bruce Jenner