Led by QB Jim McMahon, NFL legend Walter Payton, coach ”Iron Mike” Ditka, and defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, the 1985 Chicago Bears are still the heroes of many a Windy City native. Much has been said about Chicago’s Super Bowl Shufflin’ Crew in the 27 (championshipless) years since, but Cohen pieces together a solid oral history, in Monsters, talking to all the major players of that starry season. He starts out by paying homage to local legends like George ”Papa Bear” Halas, Sid Luckman, and Gale Sayers. But Cohen really hits his stride when he digs into the ‘85 season and the team’s steamroll to victory in New Orleans. He ends with a fairly heartbreaking ”Where Are They Now” update that lays bare his pride and compassion for the warriors who brought glory to Chi-Town for one unforgettable moment. A-
DA BEARS OF 1985 Author Rich Cohen gives an honorable account of the Chicago Bears' decorated 1985 season
Genre: Sports; Author: Rich Cohen; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted November 13 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Usher announces new album, 'Hard II Love'
- 'The Girl on the Train': The terrifying scene that's not in the book
- 'The Art of Jock' is an in-depth look at a unique comic artist
- VMAs 2016: Who will win?
- Carly Rae Jepsen teases new album after releasing 'E·MO·TION Side B'
- 'Game of Thrones' actor Jason Momoa now has his own Guinness beer
- When are the VMAs? And other burning questions answered!