Led by QB Jim McMahon, NFL legend Walter Payton, coach ”Iron Mike” Ditka, and defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, the 1985 Chicago Bears are still the heroes of many a Windy City native. Much has been said about Chicago’s Super Bowl Shufflin’ Crew in the 27 (championshipless) years since, but Cohen pieces together a solid oral history, in Monsters, talking to all the major players of that starry season. He starts out by paying homage to local legends like George ”Papa Bear” Halas, Sid Luckman, and Gale Sayers. But Cohen really hits his stride when he digs into the ‘85 season and the team’s steamroll to victory in New Orleans. He ends with a fairly heartbreaking ”Where Are They Now” update that lays bare his pride and compassion for the warriors who brought glory to Chi-Town for one unforgettable moment. A-
DA BEARS OF 1985 Author Rich Cohen gives an honorable account of the Chicago Bears' decorated 1985 season
Genre: Sports; Author: Rich Cohen; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted November 13 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Game of Thrones fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!