Led by QB Jim McMahon, NFL legend Walter Payton, coach ”Iron Mike” Ditka, and defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, the 1985 Chicago Bears are still the heroes of many a Windy City native. Much has been said about Chicago’s Super Bowl Shufflin’ Crew in the 27 (championshipless) years since, but Cohen pieces together a solid oral history, in Monsters, talking to all the major players of that starry season. He starts out by paying homage to local legends like George ”Papa Bear” Halas, Sid Luckman, and Gale Sayers. But Cohen really hits his stride when he digs into the ‘85 season and the team’s steamroll to victory in New Orleans. He ends with a fairly heartbreaking ”Where Are They Now” update that lays bare his pride and compassion for the warriors who brought glory to Chi-Town for one unforgettable moment. A-
DA BEARS OF 1985 Author Rich Cohen gives an honorable account of the Chicago Bears' decorated 1985 season
Genre: Sports; Author: Rich Cohen; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted November 13 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with new single 'Trust You,' shares details of new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!