”That was some melodramatic s—!” So says Quentin, the bachelor troublemaker played by Terrence Howard in The Best Man Holiday. He’s talking about one of the film’s many heated, if not hysterical, fights, but he might be describing the movie as a whole. Back in 1999 The Best Man was an outrageously fresh comedy of love and backbiting, and not just because it marked Hollywood’s belated discovery that characters could be upscale and African-American at the same time. The movie had wit, verve, spark, and surprise. But writer-director Malcolm D. Lee shouldn’t have waited 14 years to do a sequel. The Best Man Holiday reunites the characters for a Christmas-weekend house party, and what ensues is like a better-written Tyler Perry movie: too many life crises rooted in too much recycled backstory. The actors are winning, especially Taye Diggs as the now-struggling Harper, Regina Hall as the ex-stripper Candace, and the great Morris Chestnut as football star Lance. But The Best Man Holiday is an eggnog that’s sticky-sweet and heavy at the same time. B-
REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD Despite stellar performances this sequel falls a little flat. (Michael Gibson/Universal)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Terrence Howard, Sanaa Lathan; Director: Malcolm D. Lee; Release Date Wide: 11/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 124; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!