”That was some melodramatic s—!” So says Quentin, the bachelor troublemaker played by Terrence Howard in The Best Man Holiday. He’s talking about one of the film’s many heated, if not hysterical, fights, but he might be describing the movie as a whole. Back in 1999 The Best Man was an outrageously fresh comedy of love and backbiting, and not just because it marked Hollywood’s belated discovery that characters could be upscale and African-American at the same time. The movie had wit, verve, spark, and surprise. But writer-director Malcolm D. Lee shouldn’t have waited 14 years to do a sequel. The Best Man Holiday reunites the characters for a Christmas-weekend house party, and what ensues is like a better-written Tyler Perry movie: too many life crises rooted in too much recycled backstory. The actors are winning, especially Taye Diggs as the now-struggling Harper, Regina Hall as the ex-stripper Candace, and the great Morris Chestnut as football star Lance. But The Best Man Holiday is an eggnog that’s sticky-sweet and heavy at the same time. B-
REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD Despite stellar performances this sequel falls a little flat. (Michael Gibson/Universal)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Terrence Howard, Sanaa Lathan; Director: Malcolm D. Lee; Release Date Wide: 11/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 124; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Bloodline renewed by Netflix
- 'Room 237' team launches Kickstarter campaign for mysterious new project
- Nathan Fillion shares his love letter to 'Walking Dead'
- Kevin Hooks to direct Nelson Mandela mini-series for BET Networks
- Trevor Noah addresses Twitter backlash
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!