”That was some melodramatic s—!” So says Quentin, the bachelor troublemaker played by Terrence Howard in The Best Man Holiday. He’s talking about one of the film’s many heated, if not hysterical, fights, but he might be describing the movie as a whole. Back in 1999 The Best Man was an outrageously fresh comedy of love and backbiting, and not just because it marked Hollywood’s belated discovery that characters could be upscale and African-American at the same time. The movie had wit, verve, spark, and surprise. But writer-director Malcolm D. Lee shouldn’t have waited 14 years to do a sequel. The Best Man Holiday reunites the characters for a Christmas-weekend house party, and what ensues is like a better-written Tyler Perry movie: too many life crises rooted in too much recycled backstory. The actors are winning, especially Taye Diggs as the now-struggling Harper, Regina Hall as the ex-stripper Candace, and the great Morris Chestnut as football star Lance. But The Best Man Holiday is an eggnog that’s sticky-sweet and heavy at the same time. B-
REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD Despite stellar performances this sequel falls a little flat. (Michael Gibson/Universal)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Terrence Howard, Sanaa Lathan; Director: Malcolm D. Lee; Release Date Wide: 11/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 124; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- The music we loved this week
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Samwell Tarly's brother
- Idris Elba prepares child soldiers for war in 'Beasts of No Nation' trailer
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!