When little orphan Liesel (13-year-old Sophie Nélisse) first meets her foster parents in 1939 Germany, her frosty new mom (Emily Watson) hisses, ”Look at the girl. She’s filthy.” But grime is exactly what’s missing from this schmaltzy take on Markus Zusak’s 2005 best-seller, The Book Thief, directed by frequent Downton Abbey helmer Brian Percival. The Liesel we see is spotless; she has adorable pin curls and radiates klieg-light levels of wholesomeness. As she comes of age during wartime, the terrors of the Third Reich are bathed in a cozy, Thomas Kinkade-style glow that makes even swastika flags seem like festive holiday decorations, and any plot point that wouldn’t pair with a swell of violins has been neatly excised. It would make for a pretty ghastly pageant if not for smart, understated turns by Watson and Geoffrey Rush as the charmingly Teutonic couple who rescue both Liesel and a stranded Jew (Ben Schnezter) — not to mention the movie itself — with honorable matter-of-factness. B-
BOOK COVER This adaptation of the 2005 bestseller struggles to bring the novel to life. (Jules Heath)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Sophie Nelisse, Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson; Director: Brian Percival; Release Date Wide: 11/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 131; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted November 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!