In Vince Vaughn’s latest lowbrow, high-concept comedy, the fast-talking firecracker from Swingers and Wedding Crashers looks exhausted. You get the sense from his red-rimmed eyes and lifeless patter that even he’s tired of the junk he’s been cranking out lately. An uninspired remake of the recent — and far better — Canadian import Starbuck, Delivery Man is the story of a Brooklyn screwup named David Wozniak, who years ago donated his sperm to a fertility clinic for money. It wasn’t just a one-time lark. During a 33-month period in the ’90s, David was paid to ”wrestle the dragon” 633 times (no wonder Vaughn looks so worn-out), resulting in 533 children. Now some of those kids are suing to find out the identity of their donor dad. Oh yeah, and David’s in-the-dark girlfriend (How I Met Your Mother’s Cobie Smulders) tells him that she’s pregnant too. Honestly, the setup sounds more promising than the hash that Vaughn and writer-director Ken Scott make of it. The lazy script jerks back and forth between masturbation-joke slapstick and gloppy sentimentality as David seeks out his offspring and tries to help them like a creepy guardian angel. The only saving grace is Chris Pratt as Vaughn’s deadpan best friend. Otherwise, Delivery Man is a limp-noodle story about an unlikable guy who manages to grow up and become a marginally less unlikable guy. C
WHAT CAN VAUGHN DO FOR YOU? Vince Vaughn's latest offering fails to deliver on it's premise. (Jessica Miglio)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Chris Pratt, Cobie Smulders, Vince Vaughn; Director: Ken Scott; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Justin Timberlake pretends to pull a Kanye on Taylor Swift at iHeartRadio Awards
- 'Jurassic World' TV spot: Making new dinos is still a bad idea
- iHeartRadio Music Awards 2015: Our 5 favorite moments
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!