SPOILER ALERT! Shippers live for the payoff, and in 2013, fans of NCIS, Suits, Castle, Parks and Recreation, and Bones got the ultimate with a goodbye kiss, angry first-time sex in the file room, a proposal, a surprise wedding, and a long-awaited wedding, respectively. (Sorry, Downton Abbey fans, that your Mary and Matthew bliss was so short-lived. Ditto, Sons of Anarchy fans, who watched Tara and Jax finally reconnect, which only made her exit all the more painful.)
For other viewers though, the yearning continues. Here are 10 moments from 2013 that will keep shippers hanging on and tuning in.
• Scandal, May 2: Instead of stopping Mellie (Bellamy Young) from giving a live TV interview about his philandering, Fitz (Tony Goldwyn) ran out the clock with Olivia (Kerry Washington). “Watch me earn you,” he said. (And with the ravenous sex scene that followed, we did!)
• Sleepy Hollow, Nov. 4: When Ichabod (Tom Mison) believed his only option to stop the Horseman was killing himself, he told Abbie (Nicole Beharie) it’d be best if she left him alone to die. She wouldn’t. Long live, Ichabbie (even if he’s technically married to a witch who’s in purgatory)!
• The Good Wife, Dec. 1: As Will (Josh Charles) prepared to question Alicia (Julianna Margulies) in court, his imagination of how that conversation would go mixed with his anger over her betrayal and his memory of hot balcony sex during their affair. This scene, along with the Great Desk Clearing of 2013, may just earn Josh Charles a Golden Globe (and/or an Emmy).
• The Mindy Project, Dec. 3: Danny (Chris Messina) dancing to Aaliyah’s “Try Again” was the ultimate Secret Santa present for Mindy (Mindy Kaling) – and for us.
• The Vampire Diaries, Oct. 24: Stefan (Paul Wesley) had amnesia, so Elena (Nina Dobrev) tried to cure him with a trip down memory lane. This is how you do an “almost kiss.”
• Grey’s Anatomy, Dec. 12: Even if you no longer watch Grey’s and have no idea who Jackson (Jesse Williams) and April (Sarah Drew) are, the way Jesse stood, then sat down, then stood again to interpret April’s wedding will get you.
• Arrow, Nov. 13: After Oliver (Stephen Amell) slept with Isabel (Summer Glau) in Russia, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) just wanted to know why her. His response: “It didn’t mean anything…. Because of the life that I lead, I just think that it’s better to not be with someone that I could really care about.”
• Girls, March 17: The final moment of the season 2 finale found Adam (Adam Driver) sprinting shirtless through the streets of New York to a unraveling Hannah (Lena Dunham) in a scene right out of a rom-com (albeit a really twisted one).
• Once Upon a Time, Oct. 27: The highly anticipated first kiss between Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) came as a “thank you.” We second that sentiment.
• Nashville, Feb. 6: Somehow the kiss Deacon (Charles Esten) laid on Rayna (Connie Britton) in the elevator was even hotter than their eventual love scene. And because their relationship didn’t make it to season 2, we get to ship them all over again.*
*When we’re not shipping Hayden Panettiere’s Juliette and Jonathan Jackson’s Avery – there, we said it!