Amazon’s Betas (debuting Nov. 22) feels more like a conventional sitcom, even though it’s aimed at Glassholes (people who only watch stuff on Google Glass — one of the many Urban Dictionary terms you’ll learn from this show). It follows four San Franciscans as they launch a start-up with a New Agey mogul (Ed Begley Jr.), and even the dumb jokes are smart: One guy names his cat Ray Katzweil, after the futurist Ray Kurzweil, a pun that made this particular nerd laugh. But if Betas keeps up with millennial cleverness, it’s also sometimes a little too on-the-nose. (See: the bi-curious Asian girl who actually says ”obvi” out loud.) B-
STILL BETA TESTING? The new Amazon show is smart as a whip, but maybe too hip for its own good. (ERICA PARI SE/AMAZON)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/22/2013; Broadcaster: Amazon; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'