Amazon’s Betas (debuting Nov. 22) feels more like a conventional sitcom, even though it’s aimed at Glassholes (people who only watch stuff on Google Glass — one of the many Urban Dictionary terms you’ll learn from this show). It follows four San Franciscans as they launch a start-up with a New Agey mogul (Ed Begley Jr.), and even the dumb jokes are smart: One guy names his cat Ray Katzweil, after the futurist Ray Kurzweil, a pun that made this particular nerd laugh. But if Betas keeps up with millennial cleverness, it’s also sometimes a little too on-the-nose. (See: the bi-curious Asian girl who actually says ”obvi” out loud.) B-
STILL BETA TESTING? The new Amazon show is smart as a whip, but maybe too hip for its own good. (ERICA PARI SE/AMAZON)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/22/2013; Broadcaster: Amazon; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade