Amazon’s Betas (debuting Nov. 22) feels more like a conventional sitcom, even though it’s aimed at Glassholes (people who only watch stuff on Google Glass — one of the many Urban Dictionary terms you’ll learn from this show). It follows four San Franciscans as they launch a start-up with a New Agey mogul (Ed Begley Jr.), and even the dumb jokes are smart: One guy names his cat Ray Katzweil, after the futurist Ray Kurzweil, a pun that made this particular nerd laugh. But if Betas keeps up with millennial cleverness, it’s also sometimes a little too on-the-nose. (See: the bi-curious Asian girl who actually says ”obvi” out loud.) B-
STILL BETA TESTING? The new Amazon show is smart as a whip, but maybe too hip for its own good. (ERICA PARI SE/AMAZON)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/22/2013; Broadcaster: Amazon; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!