Amazon’s Betas (debuting Nov. 22) feels more like a conventional sitcom, even though it’s aimed at Glassholes (people who only watch stuff on Google Glass — one of the many Urban Dictionary terms you’ll learn from this show). It follows four San Franciscans as they launch a start-up with a New Agey mogul (Ed Begley Jr.), and even the dumb jokes are smart: One guy names his cat Ray Katzweil, after the futurist Ray Kurzweil, a pun that made this particular nerd laugh. But if Betas keeps up with millennial cleverness, it’s also sometimes a little too on-the-nose. (See: the bi-curious Asian girl who actually says ”obvi” out loud.) B-
STILL BETA TESTING? The new Amazon show is smart as a whip, but maybe too hip for its own good. (ERICA PARI SE/AMAZON)
Genre: Comedy; Broadcaster: Amazon
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!