Amazon’s Betas (debuting Nov. 22) feels more like a conventional sitcom, even though it’s aimed at Glassholes (people who only watch stuff on Google Glass — one of the many Urban Dictionary terms you’ll learn from this show). It follows four San Franciscans as they launch a start-up with a New Agey mogul (Ed Begley Jr.), and even the dumb jokes are smart: One guy names his cat Ray Katzweil, after the futurist Ray Kurzweil, a pun that made this particular nerd laugh. But if Betas keeps up with millennial cleverness, it’s also sometimes a little too on-the-nose. (See: the bi-curious Asian girl who actually says ”obvi” out loud.) B-
STILL BETA TESTING? The new Amazon show is smart as a whip, but maybe too hip for its own good. (ERICA PARI SE/AMAZON)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/22/2013; Broadcaster: Amazon; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Galavant' cast makes epic video to thank fans trying to save show
- Fred Armisen really wants his fur coat in cut 'SNL' sketch
- First look at Kate Mara in Luke Scott's sci-fi thriller 'Morgan'
- Mike Myers, Simon Pegg join Margot Robbie thriller 'Terminal'
- Kesha belts out stellar cover of Bob Dylan's 'I Shall Be Released'
- 'Friends' quiz: How well do you know what the cast has been up to?
- Tatiana Maslany shares which 'Orphan Black' clone she relates to most