Amazon’s Betas (debuting Nov. 22) feels more like a conventional sitcom, even though it’s aimed at Glassholes (people who only watch stuff on Google Glass — one of the many Urban Dictionary terms you’ll learn from this show). It follows four San Franciscans as they launch a start-up with a New Agey mogul (Ed Begley Jr.), and even the dumb jokes are smart: One guy names his cat Ray Katzweil, after the futurist Ray Kurzweil, a pun that made this particular nerd laugh. But if Betas keeps up with millennial cleverness, it’s also sometimes a little too on-the-nose. (See: the bi-curious Asian girl who actually says ”obvi” out loud.) B-
STILL BETA TESTING? The new Amazon show is smart as a whip, but maybe too hip for its own good. (ERICA PARI SE/AMAZON)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/22/2013; Broadcaster: Amazon; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Adam Scott to guest on 'The Good Place'
- Lady Gaga on Madonna comparisons: 'What I do is different'
- Madonna’s 'Rebel Heart Tour' is coming to Showtime
- YouTuber sings Smash Mouth’s ‘All Star’ over Adele, John Lennon
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Sophie Hunter expecting second child
- Michael Rooker names 'Night of the Living Dead' as Halloween movie pick
- 'Man With a Plan' showrunner previews Matt LeBlanc’s return to sitcoms