Every so often a British drama comes along that’s so brilliant, you must ride a TARDIS to London just to watch. (Note: ”Ride a TARDIS” definitely isn’t slang for ”secretly download while pretending to play World of Warcraft,” because that would be wrong.) The cult-favorite sci-fi series Black Mirror is one of those shows, and now that all six episodes are airing on DirecTV, Americans can geek out over the Twilight Zone of our time. Each episode is self-contained, so start with the best: ”The Entire History of You” or ”Be Right Back.” The former follows friends (including Toby Kebbell and Jodie Whittaker) who record their memories to screen them for others or replay them in their own heads, and the latter focuses on a couple (Hayley Atwell and Domhnall Gleeson) who use their email cache to…uh, work through grief. If that sounds vague, well, the less you know, the better. Let’s just say both episodes are gripping cautionary tales about how technology makes people less human. And the others — there’s a smart satire of American Idol and a thriller that involves unmentionable acts with a pig — have inspired heated ”What would you do?” debates among fans, a group that’s getting bigger all the time. (Robert Downey Jr. is set to produce a film version of ”The Entire History of You.”) When it’s over, you’ll need that TARDIS to transport you back to before you first heard about Black Mirror, so that each episode can surprise you all over again. A
MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WEB The ace British drama series reflects on our tech-obsessed times. (DirecTV)
Genre: Anthology, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Broadcaster: DirecTV
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!