The Wrong Mans (Hulu) might be the closest thing to must-see TV online. Already a hit in the U.K., it’s co-written by its stars, James Corden and Mathew Baynton, the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost of Hulu. Recently dumped and massively hungover, Sam (Baynton) witnesses a car crash while walking to work. When the driver’s cell phone rings, Sam picks up and a voice threatens to kill his wife if he doesn’t cough up cash. This sets up a Hitchcockian mystery that requires help from a sad mail clerk (Corden). Just as adept with suspense as slapstick humor, it’s both a piss-take of action dramas and a strong action drama in its own right. It’s sure to attract a cult following, and if the networks catch on, the future of TV won’t be that different from its past: We’ll have a British show that’s transformed into a Web comedy, only to be aired on TV again. B+
THE RIGHT STUFF It's only a matter of time before The Wrong Mans' success overseas translates to American audiences. (Des Willie/Hulu)
Genre: Comedy; Broadcaster: Hulu
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!