The Wrong Mans (Hulu) might be the closest thing to must-see TV online. Already a hit in the U.K., it’s co-written by its stars, James Corden and Mathew Baynton, the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost of Hulu. Recently dumped and massively hungover, Sam (Baynton) witnesses a car crash while walking to work. When the driver’s cell phone rings, Sam picks up and a voice threatens to kill his wife if he doesn’t cough up cash. This sets up a Hitchcockian mystery that requires help from a sad mail clerk (Corden). Just as adept with suspense as slapstick humor, it’s both a piss-take of action dramas and a strong action drama in its own right. It’s sure to attract a cult following, and if the networks catch on, the future of TV won’t be that different from its past: We’ll have a British show that’s transformed into a Web comedy, only to be aired on TV again. B+
THE RIGHT STUFF It's only a matter of time before The Wrong Mans' success overseas translates to American audiences. (Des Willie/Hulu)
Genre: Comedy; Run Dates: 11/11/2013; Broadcaster: Hulu; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles