The Wrong Mans (Hulu) might be the closest thing to must-see TV online. Already a hit in the U.K., it’s co-written by its stars, James Corden and Mathew Baynton, the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost of Hulu. Recently dumped and massively hungover, Sam (Baynton) witnesses a car crash while walking to work. When the driver’s cell phone rings, Sam picks up and a voice threatens to kill his wife if he doesn’t cough up cash. This sets up a Hitchcockian mystery that requires help from a sad mail clerk (Corden). Just as adept with suspense as slapstick humor, it’s both a piss-take of action dramas and a strong action drama in its own right. It’s sure to attract a cult following, and if the networks catch on, the future of TV won’t be that different from its past: We’ll have a British show that’s transformed into a Web comedy, only to be aired on TV again. B+
THE RIGHT STUFF It's only a matter of time before The Wrong Mans' success overseas translates to American audiences. (Des Willie/Hulu)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/11/2013; Broadcaster: Hulu; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Creed,' 'Empire,' 'Black-ish' win big at NAACP Image Awards
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?
- Lady Gaga to be honored by Grammy Museum