The Wrong Mans (Hulu) might be the closest thing to must-see TV online. Already a hit in the U.K., it’s co-written by its stars, James Corden and Mathew Baynton, the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost of Hulu. Recently dumped and massively hungover, Sam (Baynton) witnesses a car crash while walking to work. When the driver’s cell phone rings, Sam picks up and a voice threatens to kill his wife if he doesn’t cough up cash. This sets up a Hitchcockian mystery that requires help from a sad mail clerk (Corden). Just as adept with suspense as slapstick humor, it’s both a piss-take of action dramas and a strong action drama in its own right. It’s sure to attract a cult following, and if the networks catch on, the future of TV won’t be that different from its past: We’ll have a British show that’s transformed into a Web comedy, only to be aired on TV again. B+
THE RIGHT STUFF It's only a matter of time before The Wrong Mans' success overseas translates to American audiences. (Des Willie/Hulu)
Genre: Comedy; Series Premiere: 11/11/2013; Broadcaster: Hulu; Status: In Season
Posted December 16 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Yvonne Strahovski joins Hulu's 'The Handmaid's Tale'
- Teyana Taylor: 5 things to know about the star of Kanye new video
- Here's where you can watch the Anthony Weiner documentary, 'Weiner'
- Marlene King debuts 'Famous in Love' trailer starring Bella Thorne
- Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka' and 'Blazing Saddles' star, dies at 83
- 'Pretty Little Liars': 13 questions we need answered before it ends
- An introduction to Deathstroke, the new DC movie universe villain