Life is cheap in Braddock, Pa., a boarded-up rust-belt town of closing steel mills and busted dreams. The only thing left to count on is family. That’s the message that Scott Cooper’s Out of the Furnace returns to with harrowing frequency and force. Like 1978’s The Deer Hunter, Cooper’s devastating death trip nails the bond between two no-hope men pushed to violent extremes. Christian Bale’s Russell is a decent ex-con who can’t catch a break. Casey Affleck’s Rodney is his scarred younger brother, who’s just back from Iraq and is easy prey for Harlan DeGroat (Woody Harrelson), a skeevy sadist who dangles quick cash to get Rodney to brawl in a bloody bare-knuckle fight. When Rodney vanishes, Russell follows his trail deep into the Appalachians to make DeGroat pay. All of the actors (including Zoë Saldana as Bale’s ex) are remarkable. But it’s Bale, and his almost biblical quest for justice, who burns his way into your soul. A-
FURN GULLY Christian Bale and Casey Affleck are both brilliant as downtrodden brothers in Out of the Furnace. (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Casey Affleck, Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Zoe Saldana; Director: Scott Cooper; Release Date Wide: 12/06/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!