Life is cheap in Braddock, Pa., a boarded-up rust-belt town of closing steel mills and busted dreams. The only thing left to count on is family. That’s the message that Scott Cooper’s Out of the Furnace returns to with harrowing frequency and force. Like 1978’s The Deer Hunter, Cooper’s devastating death trip nails the bond between two no-hope men pushed to violent extremes. Christian Bale’s Russell is a decent ex-con who can’t catch a break. Casey Affleck’s Rodney is his scarred younger brother, who’s just back from Iraq and is easy prey for Harlan DeGroat (Woody Harrelson), a skeevy sadist who dangles quick cash to get Rodney to brawl in a bloody bare-knuckle fight. When Rodney vanishes, Russell follows his trail deep into the Appalachians to make DeGroat pay. All of the actors (including Zoë Saldana as Bale’s ex) are remarkable. But it’s Bale, and his almost biblical quest for justice, who burns his way into your soul. A-
FURN GULLY Christian Bale and Casey Affleck are both brilliant as downtrodden brothers in Out of the Furnace. (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Casey Affleck, Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Zoe Saldana; Director: Scott Cooper; Release Date Wide: 12/06/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted December 18 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!