“David sees an aspect of my personality, a fierceness, that he wants to exploit,” Amy Adams, 39, says of David O. Russell, her American Hustle director. “I remember when we were doing The Fighter, he saw it and was like, ‘I want to figure out what that is.’” Well, figure it out he did. Sydney Prosser is the most ferocious creature the actress (who in 2013 also appeared in Man of Steel and Spike Jonze’s Her) has ever portrayed. As partner and mistress to Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale), Sydney is a stripper-turned-con woman posing as a British aristocrat. She’s a master of keeping her emotions hidden — using clingy dresses and plunging necklines to distraction — but Adams allows us to see not just a hustler’s steely resolve but also her longing and sadness. When Sydney faces down Irving’s loose cannon of a wife (Jennifer Lawrence) in an Atlantic City bathroom, it has the heightened tension of a prizefight, a spectacular showdown that ends with Lawrence planting a hostile kiss on Adams’ lips — an Adams suggestion. “David always said that Sydney was a weapon,” she says. And Adams has proved herself to be an expert sniper.
Posted December 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!