Starz’ upcoming pirate drama Black Sails has a must-see opening credits sequence with a rousing theme from famed Battlestar Galactica and Walking Dead composer Bear McCreary. Gorgeous, cool, and thematically on target, these credits are like a haunting dream you might have after touring a sculpture museum and hitting Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean ride on the same day. And the music! Arguably McCreary’s best titles theme, and that’s saying quite a bit (fun fact: the instrument he’s playing is called a hurdy gurdy). The last opening sequence that got us this excited was for HBO’s Game of Thrones, which won the 2011 Emmy for best credits (yes, there is such a thing; the Academy calls it “main title design”). Check out the opening below. Play it full screen, volume up. The sequence (made by Imaginary Forces and directors Michelle Dougherty and Karin Fong) starts slow and subtle … then gets interesting. Black Sails premieres Jan. 25 on Starz.
Posted December 30 2013 — 4:48 PM EST
- Why The Final Girls is the new (scary) Pleasantville
- '12 Monkeys' cast and co-creator tease new, surprising alliances in season 2
- Composer John Williams scores AFI Life Achievement Award
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' debuts with scary good ratings
- Bruno Mars teams with 'Empire' producer for NBC family comedy
- See the trailer for Janis Joplin documentary 'Janis: Little Girl Blue'
- Ellen DeGeneres coordinates Jessie J duet with viral video cohort, and it's perfect