The Spanish Civil War is a big topic that requires a big canvas. Molina’s epic, tragic tale of one man’s experiences in love and war — a bourgeois architect is shaken to the core by his homeland’s changing politics and an adulterous tryst with an American woman — gives its subject the space it deserves and renders it vibrantly with intoxicating prose. Unfortunately, as with most intoxicants, too much gives you a hangover. The swirlingly ornate writing style and nonchronological plotting lend In the Night of Time the pace of a narcotized elephant. B-
In the Night of TimeThe Spanish Civil War is a big topic that requires a big canvas. Molina's epic, tragic tale of one man's experiences in love and war — a bourgeois...In the Night of TimeFictionAntonio Munoz MolinaThe Spanish Civil War is a big topic that requires a big canvas. Molina's epic, tragic tale of one man's experiences in love and war — a bourgeois...2014-01-03Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
IN THE NIGHT OF TIME Antonio Munoz Molina
Genre: Fiction; Author: Antonio Munoz Molina; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Posted January 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles