The Spanish Civil War is a big topic that requires a big canvas. Molina’s epic, tragic tale of one man’s experiences in love and war — a bourgeois architect is shaken to the core by his homeland’s changing politics and an adulterous tryst with an American woman — gives its subject the space it deserves and renders it vibrantly with intoxicating prose. Unfortunately, as with most intoxicants, too much gives you a hangover. The swirlingly ornate writing style and nonchronological plotting lend In the Night of Time the pace of a narcotized elephant. B-
In the Night of TimeThe Spanish Civil War is a big topic that requires a big canvas. Molina's epic, tragic tale of one man's experiences in love and war — a bourgeois...In the Night of TimeFictionAntonio Munoz MolinaThe Spanish Civil War is a big topic that requires a big canvas. Molina's epic, tragic tale of one man's experiences in love and war — a bourgeois...2014-01-03Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
IN THE NIGHT OF TIME Antonio Munoz Molina
Genre: Fiction; Author: Antonio Munoz Molina; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Posted January 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!