Maeve Conlon is trying to make ends meet at her small-town bakery while keeping track of her teen daughters and her octogenarian ex-cop father, who’s got Alzheimer’s. But when her cousin Sean is murdered, Maeve’s not-all-there dad somehow becomes Suspect No. 1. As she works to clear his name, some nasty family secrets bubble to the surface. Yet thanks to Barbieri’s wicked humor and oddball cast of minor characters, the novel never veers into darkness. Though you’ll wonder whodunit until the very end, Once Upon a Lie isn’t really a conventional thriller. It’s less about suspense and more about one woman accepting her past and taking control of her future. B+
FAMILIAL SUSPECTS Author Maggie Barbieri's novel is no ordinary crime thriller.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Maggie Barbieri; Publisher: St. Martin's Minotaur
Posted January 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- WATCH: Detective Cornell, Eric in 'Secrets and Lies' exclusive
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Justin Chambers on Alex's new move
- Lady Gaga is headlining the Super Bowl halftime show
- 'The Greasy Strangler' producers on their 'shocking' horror-comedy
- Kevin James stars in 'True Memoirs of an International Assassin' trailer
- 'Portlandia' slammed by feminist bookstore used on the show
- WATCH: How is 'Younger' like a bubble bath and a glass of rosé?