Maeve Conlon is trying to make ends meet at her small-town bakery while keeping track of her teen daughters and her octogenarian ex-cop father, who’s got Alzheimer’s. But when her cousin Sean is murdered, Maeve’s not-all-there dad somehow becomes Suspect No. 1. As she works to clear his name, some nasty family secrets bubble to the surface. Yet thanks to Barbieri’s wicked humor and oddball cast of minor characters, the novel never veers into darkness. Though you’ll wonder whodunit until the very end, Once Upon a Lie isn’t really a conventional thriller. It’s less about suspense and more about one woman accepting her past and taking control of her future. B+
FAMILIAL SUSPECTS Author Maggie Barbieri's novel is no ordinary crime thriller.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Maggie Barbieri; Publisher: St. Martin's Minotaur
Posted January 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Idris Elba has 'nothing constructive to say' about Bond speculation
- Ava DuVernay responds to 'Gods of Egypt' casting apology
- Chrissy Teigen, more stars react to Planned Parenthood shooting
- 'Batman v Superman' star Henry Cavill adopts a bat named Ben
- James Wan shares new set photos from 'The Conjuring 2'
- See Benedict Cumberbatch imitate otters with Johnny Depp
- Liam Hemsworth reveals Chris Hemsworth paid off their parents' debts