Maeve Conlon is trying to make ends meet at her small-town bakery while keeping track of her teen daughters and her octogenarian ex-cop father, who’s got Alzheimer’s. But when her cousin Sean is murdered, Maeve’s not-all-there dad somehow becomes Suspect No. 1. As she works to clear his name, some nasty family secrets bubble to the surface. Yet thanks to Barbieri’s wicked humor and oddball cast of minor characters, the novel never veers into darkness. Though you’ll wonder whodunit until the very end, Once Upon a Lie isn’t really a conventional thriller. It’s less about suspense and more about one woman accepting her past and taking control of her future. B+
FAMILIAL SUSPECTS Author Maggie Barbieri's novel is no ordinary crime thriller.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Maggie Barbieri; Publisher: St. Martin's Minotaur
Posted January 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!