Maeve Conlon is trying to make ends meet at her small-town bakery while keeping track of her teen daughters and her octogenarian ex-cop father, who’s got Alzheimer’s. But when her cousin Sean is murdered, Maeve’s not-all-there dad somehow becomes Suspect No. 1. As she works to clear his name, some nasty family secrets bubble to the surface. Yet thanks to Barbieri’s wicked humor and oddball cast of minor characters, the novel never veers into darkness. Though you’ll wonder whodunit until the very end, Once Upon a Lie isn’t really a conventional thriller. It’s less about suspense and more about one woman accepting her past and taking control of her future. B+
FAMILIAL SUSPECTS Author Maggie Barbieri's novel is no ordinary crime thriller.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Maggie Barbieri; Publisher: St. Martin's Minotaur
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'American Idol' fans can now tweet to save their favorite singer
- Comedian Jim Norton defends new 'Daily Show' host Trevor Noah in Time
- Producer Jason Blum talks about the new Joel Edgerton-Jason Bateman thriller 'The Gift'
- See all the names Kurt Cobain considered for Nirvana
- Just in time for hump day, Charlie Puth shares sexy 'Marvin Gaye' video with Meghan Trainor
- Morgan Spurlock 'shed a little tear' when Zayn Malik left
- Clint Eastwood circling Richard Jewell project