Oprah’s latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner’s daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ”Handful,” a slave she accepts with a secret promise to liberate her. Via the girls’ alternating perspectives, Kidd, author of The Secret Life of Bees, depicts an unromanticized 19th century in which the girls are both hungry for freedom and at times too complacent to oppose their circumstances. The Invention of Wings isn’t just the story of a friendship that defies an oppressive society; it’s a much more satisfying story of two people discovering together that their lives are worth the fight. A-
The Invention of WingsOprah's latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner's daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ''Handful,'' a slave she accepts with a...The Invention of WingsHistorical FictionSue Monk KiddOprah's latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner's daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ''Handful,'' a slave she accepts with a...2014-01-08Viking Adult
THE INVENTION OF WINGS Sue Monk Kidd
Genre: Historical Fiction; Author: Sue Monk Kidd; Publisher: Viking Adult
Posted January 8 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!