Oprah’s latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner’s daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ”Handful,” a slave she accepts with a secret promise to liberate her. Via the girls’ alternating perspectives, Kidd, author of The Secret Life of Bees, depicts an unromanticized 19th century in which the girls are both hungry for freedom and at times too complacent to oppose their circumstances. The Invention of Wings isn’t just the story of a friendship that defies an oppressive society; it’s a much more satisfying story of two people discovering together that their lives are worth the fight. A-
The Invention of WingsOprah's latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner's daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ''Handful,'' a slave she accepts with a...The Invention of WingsHistorical FictionSue Monk KiddOprah's latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner's daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ''Handful,'' a slave she accepts with a...2014-01-08Viking Adult
THE INVENTION OF WINGS Sue Monk Kidd
Genre: Historical Fiction; Author: Sue Monk Kidd; Publisher: Viking Adult
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Furious 7's James Wan to produce 'The Entity' remake
- Helen Mirren talks about her love of Vin Diesel on 'Late Night'
- Waka Flocka Flame to run for president
- Batman costume from 'Batman v Superman': Take a good look
- 'Furious 7' breaks box office records in China
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!