Oprah’s latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner’s daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ”Handful,” a slave she accepts with a secret promise to liberate her. Via the girls’ alternating perspectives, Kidd, author of The Secret Life of Bees, depicts an unromanticized 19th century in which the girls are both hungry for freedom and at times too complacent to oppose their circumstances. The Invention of Wings isn’t just the story of a friendship that defies an oppressive society; it’s a much more satisfying story of two people discovering together that their lives are worth the fight. A-
The Invention of WingsOprah's latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner's daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ''Handful,'' a slave she accepts with a...The Invention of WingsHistorical FictionSue Monk KiddOprah's latest book-club pick centers on Sarah Grimké, a slave owner's daughter, and her 11th-birthday gift, ''Handful,'' a slave she accepts with a...2014-01-08Viking Adult
THE INVENTION OF WINGS Sue Monk Kidd
Genre: Historical Fiction; Author: Sue Monk Kidd; Publisher: Viking Adult
Posted January 8 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!