”Cora Blake was certainly not planning on going to Paris that spring,” A Star for Mrs. Blake begins. ”Or ever in her lifetime.” But like thousands of other so-called Gold Star Mothers — the American women whose sons lie buried in the battle-scarred poppy fields of post-WWI France — she finds herself on a government-sponsored gravesite pilgrimage, thousands of miles from her hardscrabble New England home. While fine dining in first-class train cars and day trips to the Arc de Triomphe can’t bring their boys back (or entirely bridge the cultural gaps among middle-aged ladies who range from railroad heiresses to Irish housemaids), Smith’s gentle, evocative prose brings graceful life to a wrongly forgotten historical footnote. B+
A Star for Mrs. Blake''Cora Blake was certainly not planning on going to Paris that spring,'' A Star for Mrs. Blake begins. ''Or ever in her lifetime.'' But like...A Star for Mrs. BlakeFictionApril Smith''Cora Blake was certainly not planning on going to Paris that spring,'' A Star for Mrs. Blake begins. ''Or ever in her lifetime.'' But like...2014-01-10Knopf
A STAR FOR MRS. BLAKE April Smith
Genre: Fiction; Author: April Smith; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 10 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- See a peculiar teaser for 'Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children'
- Here's who's returning to 'Nashville' in season 4 ...
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath' introduces a gay hero to the galaxy
- 'Castle' books 'The O.C.' star in season 8
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!