Bones will likely be renewed for its 10th and final season, Fox chairman Kevin Reilly revealed at the Television Critics Association press tour. With that in mind – here are five things we want to see before we say goodbye to Booth, Bones, and the squints forever.
5. Bring back Zach! (And other characters): When the season 3 finale revealed Dr. Zach Addy (Eric Millegan) as Gormogon’s apprentice, it disappointed many fans. It’s time the writers brought him back (although he has since appeared in three episodes) and set it right. In season 4, we learn Zach didn’t actually kill the lobbyist – the crime for which he’s been committed to a mental asylum. They could easily let him out now.
While we’re at it, we’d love to see Brennan’s father Max (Ryan O’Neal) and brother Russ (Loren Dean) in season 10. Plus, what happened to Dr. Goodman (Jonathan Adams)? He went on a “sabbatical” and was never heard from again. A little closure for the director of the Jeffersonian would be nice.
4. Another David Duchovny episode: The former X-Files star directed one of the series’ most compelling hours, “Judas on a Pole,” which also introduced us to Max. The season 2 episode is Bones at its best – thrilling, fraught with tension, and a little darker than most of the show’s recent offerings. The dark tone, though, was typical of earlier Bones, and would be a nice return to form.
3. More Kathy Reichs: We need to know if Kathy (Brennan’s fictional character from her best-selling books – not the real person, whose life the series is based on) and Andy (the Booth surrogate) ever marry like Temperance and Seeley did.
2. A Sarah Michelle Gellar appearance: A Buffy/Angel reunion could happen, right? Her husband, Freddie Prinze Jr., has already guest-starred too.
1. For Brennan to finally choose one intern: Ever since Zach’s departure, Bones uses a revolving cast of squinterns in the lab – from Daisy (Carla Gallo), to Fisher (Joel David Moore), Wendell (Michael Grant Terry), Finn (Luke Kleintank), Oliver (Brian Klugman), and Arastoo (Pej Vahdat). It’s time she chose one permanently.
What would you like to see in the last season of Bones?